Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

99% of women can breastfeed

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:31 AM
  • 151 Replies
Note the first paragraph where it mentions this is possible in a society that fully supports and understands that if a child had no other means of being fed, breastfeeding will be successful.

"When saying that 99% of women can breastfeed, we were citing the World Health Organization's Infant Feeding Bulletin (1990)8 for this statistic. Here are two direct quotes from the bulletin:

1) "In societies where breastfeeding is regarded as a natural physiological function and the only way to nourish an infant, and where it is highly valued and therefore strongly encouraged and supported by society in general and families in particular, lactation failure is virtually unknown."7

2) "Based on limited clinical experience in industrialized countries, it appears that a maximum in the range of 1-5% of women experience lactation failure on purely physiological grounds."8

After the feedback, we've decided that in the future we should revise it to about 95% and make it clear that we mean physiologically speaking."

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201108/breastmilk-wipes-out-formula-responses-critical-comments
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:33 AM
Yes but 100% of women can mix a bottle of formula!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nintendomommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:34 AM
And 1% can't. What exactly is your point? As long as the babies getting fed......who cares?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:35 AM
That's pretty funny!

I had to make a bottle of formula for a child in the center I work at. I was very lost! I didn't know the exact measurements of water vs formula (the parents sent an empty bottle and those little containers where the formula is pre-measured) and had to ask for help. :)

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bananahammock1
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:36 AM
Not if you don't have arms.

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:38 AM
I found the article interesting.

The point is that if there was more support for women and families, the women that struggle with nursing, as I did with my first, may not feel pressured to give up.

This isn't about HOW children are fed; these paragraphs pertain to the support a mother does or does not receive and the affect it may have on the nursing relationship.

Quoting Nintendomommy:

And 1% can't. What exactly is your point? As long as the babies getting fed......who cares?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
People can do pretty amazing things with their feet.

Quoting bananahammock1:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofblueyes

Bump!  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersbreastfeeding smiley  

M2TandM
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:39 AM
I fully believe that success with bf can often depend on your mental outlook towards it as opposed to a medical issue - although that can obviously be a cause. Confidence and a good support system is crucial. It is unfortunate, however, that we live in a society that can be unsupportive and critical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bananahammock1
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:39 AM
I know but were not talking about sex. Lol jk

Quoting epoh:

People can do pretty amazing things with their feet.

Quoting bananahammock1:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:40 AM
Haha I just made my boyfriend tell me in his sleep to Shh because I totally laughed out loud

Quoting bananahammock1:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)