Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice on a MAC computer

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 16 Replies

I am thinking I am going to make the switch from my PC to a Mac. I don't do gaming on it but do abunch of school stuff on it, and plus just do e-mails, pictures, facebook. I was thinking the MacBook Air but my dh said it doesnt have a cd drive...which I need, so now I am left with the MacBook Pro. I have been looking online and they have tons of options that you can add on and I am at a lost as to what I actually need. Any advice would be amazing! Thanks ladies!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

The MacBook Air can support an external drive, so you can still get it and just have that drive for when you need it. How often do you need to run disks on your computer? the average person doesn't use them much.

Typically, you need the basic model. Be honest with yourself about what you actually use and don't pay for something you won't use.

One Big Ass Mistake America

alwayskk
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I didn't add any options at all and I'm perfectly satisfied. 

You will have to learn how to use Pages (the Word equivalent) and Numbers (the excel equivalent) and Keynote (The powerpoint equivalent) but all of them are easy and self explanatory. 

They also all convert very easily to files for a PC.

jillbailey26
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I have a MacBook Pro and I'm not really sure what options you're talking about.  I went to Best Buy and got it.  The only thing I got with it was iWork.  It's comparable to Microsoft Office and that whole line-up of programs.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

no idea. i have a PC, here is a bump.

dez_081
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I didn't add anything to mine, either.  My husband did buy Micrsoft Office for Mac for me, but I really don't use it. 

sent4u5041
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I mainly use it to burn pics to send to family...but other than that I don't use it too much. And I told him I would be happy with the Air...but idk.

Quoting christina0607:

The MacBook Air can support an external drive, so you can still get it and just have that drive for when you need it. How often do you need to run disks on your computer? the average person doesn't use them much.

Typically, you need the basic model. Be honest with yourself about what you actually use and don't pay for something you won't use.

christina0607
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I like the Air and thats the one I would buy. You can get an external drive for under $50. I know Apple sells one for $80, but you can go with any brand.

Quoting sent4u5041:

I mainly use it to burn pics to send to family...but other than that I don't use it too much. And I told him I would be happy with the Air...but idk.

Quoting christina0607:

sent4u5041
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Thats what I was thinking. Just sucks the closest apple store her is 4 hours away!! So I have to order it on line and its hard to see exactly what they all do.

Quoting christina0607:

I like the Air and thats the one I would buy. You can get an external drive for under $50. I know Apple sells one for $80, but you can go with any brand.

Quoting sent4u5041:

Quoting christina0607:

christina0607
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Best Buy sells Apple too, at the same price as the Apple store. I've only bought from the actual Apple store, but I would think it would be fine usuing best buy. Or you can go there and see them, then order on line.

Quoting sent4u5041:

Thats what I was thinking. Just sucks the closest apple store her is 4 hours away!! So I have to order it on line and its hard to see exactly what they all do.

Quoting christina0607:

Famousglm714
by Gina on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Bump, I'm thinking of switching too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)