Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 month old was diagnosed with GERD. HELP!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM
  • 30 Replies

My dd was just diagnosed although she has been having these issues since birth. We have switched her formula to Nutramigen and she is taking 15mg of Prevacid per day. It seems impossible to get her to swallow the prevacid, if I put it in the bottle it doesn't get sucked through the nipple. When I dissolved it and put it in her mouth with a syringe she threw it back up almost four hours later!

She seems to be getting worse not better and it has been a week now. I am at a loss. She cries and is obviously in pain, she chokes while eating and while throwing up. I need some support or someone with any advice. She is 5 months old.

I also have a 16 month old and a 3 year old and am just at my wits end. I have tried two of the groups on here and they are not very active so I am hoping some of you have gone through this and have some advice.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yabbadabba07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

BUMP!

yabbadabba07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

BUMP!

yabbadabba07

BUMP!

yabbadabba07

BUMP!

LaLaMonkey
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

bump i dont know. Hope you getthe answers you need

ToddsMommy1117
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jodstar30
Oh mama. I'm sry. Call her ped and see what they say. Maybe there's other things they can try.
Hugs. Hang in there.
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Here is the WONDERFUL support group I belong too.  My DD took Prevacid for over 2 years.  are you using the ones that melt from the pharmacy or are you using OTC?

http://www.infantrefluxdisease.com/infant_acid_reflux/

Tnamari
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I *think* mine was on zantac, but it was liquid that I put in his bottle...he was also on reglan, which is in the news now so I don't think they give it to infacts anymore...we did the nutramagen also , man that stuff stinks! I also put a drop of mylicon in every bottle, my pediatrician told me it does not absorb in the body and that it was fine. I also started tummy time at 5 mths and he started sitting up and crawling in no time and seemed much happier, though his gerd didn't go away until around 11 months. I tell you it was one of the worse times of my life, a baby that cried ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time. I would rub his tummy clockwise if he fussed or push on his legs as if he were riding an invisible bike...sit him up after he eats (I'm sure you've been told this)....hang in there Momma, I know it's tough, but it will pass...ask the ped for other options like a liquid form

yabbadabba07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Thank you. I am using the ones that melt from the pharmacy. They said dissolve them in a small amount of water and put them in her bottle but that doesn't work. I then dissolved them in a little medicine syringe and put them in her mouth while she was drinking her bottle. That seemed to work until she threw them all back up. They dissolve into little balls..and all the little balls came back up.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Here is the WONDERFUL support group I belong too.  My DD took Prevacid for over 2 years.  are you using the ones that melt from the pharmacy or are you using OTC?

http://www.infantrefluxdisease.com/infant_acid_reflux/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)