Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your homework routine?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

How do you make sure your kids are staying on top of their homework?

I have had endless accounts over the years of: We don't have any, I forgot my books, blah blah blah.

So, what methods do you use to make sure they get it done?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beerebelly
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I don't have one.  The kids have always just done it on their own.  I never even ask if they have any.

pigtail
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

As soon as they walk in the door I ask what they have to get done while it is fresh in their mind. We then have snacks and talk about their day. After snacks it is homework time.

TrouserMouse
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Wow, that must be nice.  Some of my kids are more motivated than others.  :( 

Quoting beerebelly:

I don't have one.  The kids have always just done it on their own.  I never even ask if they have any.

1likeme
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM
My oldest son sits down and does it after a snack and some play time. If he forgets his book or worksheets he has extra homework to do the next day.

My son's homework is modified and he is only required to do one and a half hours of homework every night. To complete the normal homework it takes him upwards of four hours. Less work actually helps him absorb more material because he isn't focusing on how much he hates it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookieRobot
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Come home and have a snack and a few minutes of downtime, then homework so they can go out and play with friends.  

MommyWeston
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

My oldest his home by himself for almost 2 hours so he gets it done then. My other kids are in the after school program sometimes they will do it there so it is done with. If they don't do it then they do it after dinner and we tell them they can't watch tv or play until it is done.

JordansMama2003
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Since my husband and I are so busy with our jobs, the gym, family events, ... LIFE, we have decided to start waking up in the mornings to go over homework with our 3rd graders. He has been pretty good about bringing his homework and what he needs home, but they have always sent it home on Mondays and it is returned on Fridays. Not sure if this year will be the same way. 

lovemyirish
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM
This is what we do too. Mostly they do it while snacking though lol

Quoting pigtail:

As soon as they walk in the door I ask what they have to get done while it is fresh in their mind. We then have snacks and talk about their day. After snacks it is homework time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pigtail
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM

My oldest is a talker. I learned I HAVE to let her tell me about her day before homework begins. lol So snack time we discuss the day. If I don't do that she will stop her homework every two seconds, it seems, to tell me something that happened. 

Quoting lovemyirish:

Quoting pigtail:

TrouserMouse
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

That makes sense!

Quoting pigtail:

My oldest is a talker. I learned I HAVE to let her tell me about her day before homework begins. lol So snack time we discuss the day. If I don't do that she will stop her homework every two seconds, it seems, to tell me something that happened. 

Quoting lovemyirish:

Quoting pigtail:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)