Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you gets a dog to like anouther dog???

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM
  • 9 Replies
Or am I just sol?

We have had red for 3 yrs she is a female lab mix yes she is fixed. She is the sweetest thing ever she thinks my kids are her puppies. We also half way have teddy femal also fixed lab mix with german shepard (teddy was here first) red and teddy or best friends. About a yr ago dh deciedes he want anouther dog sadly I didn't say yes or no quick enough so he went ahead and got shadow. She is a cocker snoozerdoodle(sp?) Mix and also fixed. Red cannot stand shadow! Doesn't want that dog any where near her she doesn't attack or anything just growels and snaps at her. At first I figured well it will just take time its been a yr! And red still doesn't like shadow we have to feed them in seperate areas cus red will not let shadow eat she will chase her off eat her food fast then go back to hers lol gah I wish red would pull the stick out of her ass!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
smarshy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM

They probably won't ever really like each other.

I would be pissed if DH brought another bitch into my territory too.

ProudMom9799
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:14 PM

i have a cocker spaniel and he can be very annoying...my mil's golden retriever didnt like him much. took her a while to start to tolerate him

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I would suggest you get a behaviorist in there. You can make it work but they have to become a pack. Do you walk them together?   What is Red doing when Shadow comes around? Are there toys or bones around? Does Shadow pester Red trying to get her to play or is she trying to be dominant over Red?

sexymomma_88
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM
Shadow for the most part hangs out with the 2 girls but she just keeps her distance with red because if she gets to close red will growel and snap. At first she would try to play with red but has learned quick that was a no no now she plays with teddy.. sounds bad but no we don't walk the girls they have run of 100 acre farm so they get plenty of excerise.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I would suggest you get a behaviorist in there. You can make it work but they have to become a pack. Do you walk them together?   What is Red doing when Shadow comes around? Are there toys or bones around? Does Shadow pester Red trying to get her to play or is she trying to be dominant over Red?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sexymomma_88
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM
It just kinda irks me because my fil is trying to tell me we need to get rid of red since she can't get along.. red is my baby I just can't see getting rid of her because she doesn't like anouther dog
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

If you have to get rid of a dog it should be the last one to come in. I have worked with dogs a long time and you can make it work butit does time and consistantcy. That being said some dogs just don't do well together. They are like people this way they are not going to like every dog they come in contact with.  

I know you said you have a lot of land but start walking them together this could help them. They are going to have to learn to live together. Red sounds like she might have some spacial issues and that is okay as long as she is not starting actual fights and causing wounds.  Your husband rocked  the boat by bringing the other dog home and some dogs take a long time to adjust or just won't. I have three dogs myself and they get along great.  But before we adopted Beau and T.C Reagan had had a buddie that she adored. He passed and we eventually got Beau. Reagan would not except him for the longest time but they eventually became friends. By the time T.C came along they had not issues with a thurd dog.

Quoting sexymomma_88:

It just kinda irks me because my fil is trying to tell me we need to get rid of red since she can't get along.. red is my baby I just can't see getting rid of her because she doesn't like anouther dog

lifeisboog
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Walking the boys together did wonders for getting Riker and Tucker to get along. Riker just didn't want to share us with anyone or anything else and didn't understand that Tucker was higher on the food chain. He apparently ran his previous household which is probably why they rehomed him.

We pretty much had to teach him that he had to share our attention. We made a point to let Tucker out of the door first and in the door first. Tucker gets groomed first, eats first and has first dibs to our laps. He has learned to respect Tucker. 

Watch them. You might be surprised by who's causing the problems. Tucker was always the one making all the noise but Riker was the one pestering him into getting pissed off. He likes to get people, dogs, the cat, whatever he can all riled up. Its fun to him. He is a ridiculous dog. He will seriously lay down next to Tucker and it looks like he's just being nice but he will start licking Tucker's face to make him growl and the more Tucker growls the more him licks.

They are like two year olds that never grow up.

Devious103102
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Animals can be like people in the sense that sometimes they just don't like certain other animals.  GL.

sexymomma_88
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Lol I wouldn't have a problem with getting rid of shadow! But sadly everyone likes her lol. She is a good dog don't get me wrong but it just wasn't smart bringing a long haired dog to a farm.. she is constantly covered in stickers and shaved and ya ain't my dog but guess who has to do it

Quoting KyliesMom5:

If you have to get rid of a dog it should be the last one to come in. I have worked with dogs a long time and you can make it work butit does time and consistantcy. That being said some dogs just don't do well together. They are like people this way they are not going to like every dog they come in contact with.  

I know you said you have a lot of land but start walking them together this could help them. They are going to have to learn to live together. Red sounds like she might have some spacial issues and that is okay as long as she is not starting actual fights and causing wounds.  Your husband rocked  the boat by bringing the other dog home and some dogs take a long time to adjust or just won't. I have three dogs myself and they get along great.  But before we adopted Beau and T.C Reagan had had a buddie that she adored. He passed and we eventually got Beau. Reagan would not except him for the longest time but they eventually became friends. By the time T.C came along they had not issues with a thurd dog.

Quoting sexymomma_88:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)