Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women aren't supposed to work.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM
  • 10 Replies
Is what my 3 year old told me today.

A friend of mine recently opened up a resale shop and she ask if I wanted to help her part time.

My DD overheard and told me that I couldn't because I am a woman and women don't work. I guess she thinks this because I have been home since she was born and her father is the one that goes to work every day. I had no clue she thought this.

I am thinking about taking the job to show her that women work also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southern_momof2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM
We did eve a conversation about it. I told her that most women do work. I pointed out the lady in the post office and told her that she was working at the post office and is obviously a woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

LOL that would have made me laugh. we have women in our family who work so my kids know that women do work and to just be happy mommy is home to take them to do fun stuff.

one of my nephews told his dad this though. (his mom is the one who works). he wanted some toy and his dad told him to get a job and then he could buy it so he told his dad he'd just get married and his wife could buy it for him.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM

In my house that is how it goes... i stay home while my hubby works.. but when my girls gets older and want to work i say go for it.

♥♥♥ Yes im a wow Playing Momma♥♥♥

Shaylyn318
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM

My 5 year old said this to me. I have been a SAHM. He just started kindergarten and I asked him if he wants mommy to get a job and go to work. He laughed and said "Girls don't work, you're not a daddy" LOL.

It is nothing to be concerned about. When they are young what they see is what they know and if mommy never leaves for work but daddy does then they just think that is how it is. I let him know lots of women work.

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM
It did make me laugh a little then I really thought about it and I don't want her thinking that way.

That second part is so funny!

Quoting Teeshann:

LOL that would have made me laugh. we have women in our family who work so my kids know that women do work and to just be happy mommy is home to take them to do fun stuff.

one of my nephews told his dad this though. (his mom is the one who works). he wanted some toy and his dad told him to get a job and then he could buy it so he told his dad he'd just get married and his wife could buy it for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM
My DD told me I wasn't supposed to work on my birthday. I told my boss that but she said I still had to work. :(

Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

My kids are convinced that good moms don't work.  Apparently, it's because I'm the best mom they know and I don't work.  lol 

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM
See, I went right back to work after my son was born so I never had to deal with anything like that.

Quoting Shaylyn318:

My 5 year old said this to me. I have been a SAHM. He just started kindergarten and I asked him if he wants mommy to get a job and go to work. He laughed and said "Girls don't work, you're not a daddy" LOL.

It is nothing to be concerned about. When they are young what they see is what they know and if mommy never leaves for work but daddy does then they just think that is how it is. I let him know lots of women work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Personally, I think it's better for kids to see both parents being very active. If that means the SAHM parent volunteers a ton or has a PT job,I think that's better. JMO....

Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Wow, that's both a little sad and funny. I'd definitely take the job if for no other reason just to teach her that its OK.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)