Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two Year Old Speech

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

How many words should a 2.5 year old be speaking? Ella will be 3 in February and she is still speaking alot of gibberish. She can speak in sentences sometimes when she chooses yet sometimes she just speaks gibberish and nobody understands her. Her doctors say shes fine but I have my doubts. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Vacation tickers

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM

When DD turned 2, she could say maybe a dozen words.  The pediatrician sent me right to a speech therapist. She went there for a few months ($55/half hour out of my pocken) until I found out that the Early Intervention Unit provided the same services for free and would see her in her daycare. 

When she was 3 she transitioned to the Intermediate Unit.  Again for free and at her daycare.  She was evaluated when she entered Kindergarten and passed so it was determined she didn't need any more help.  No surprise because by then we could totally understand what she was saying.

I'm not totally sure but I think they're supposed say 100+ words by 2.  Call your Early Intervention Unit and talk to them about your concerns.  They'll do an evaulation and then develop a plan from there.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM

My oldest needed speach therapy because he had speach issues and he had it done at 4. My almost 2 year old knows probably 50-60 words and talks some what well

Q: How many words should my 2-year-old be able to say?

A: "Around their second birthday, many children begin to acquire words at breakneck speed, a phenomenon experts call the naming explosion. Most 2-year-olds can say about 100 words," says Andrew N. Meltzoff, Ph.D., coauthor of The Scientist in the Crib: Minds, Brains, and How Children Learn (William Morrow, 1999). "By the time your toddler is 2 1/2, she'll probably know close to 300." But not all children follow this pattern, so don't panic if your child isn't talking nonstop by 2 1/2. "However, if by the time your toddler is almost 3, she says fewer than 25 words and can't combine them in a simple 2-word sentence, consult your pediatrician," Dr. Meltzoff recommends.

RomansMommy0108
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:22 PM

My DS2 has great speech but Ive worked really hard on it with him hes got much much more than my friends kids of the same age. ( yet most of them see speech thereapists) I would look into getting him evaluated if your worried

mama_2_jasper
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM
My 2.5 year old DS can repeat ANYTHING you say. And talks nonstop. Its like having a conversation with a mini adult. Scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)