Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peanut Allergy Question and starting school....

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

So my daughter starts kindergarten here in 2 weeks she is going to a private school. Anyways, when I toured the school, I specifically asked if it was a peanut free school, she doesn't have a peanut allergy so I wanted to find out if she could have PB&Js etc, for lunch.  She said it wasn't a peanut free school so I just assumed Grace could have a PB&J with lunch sometimes.  Well, after reading some posts on here about kids with allergies, should I not be making her PB&Js now just in case? If your child's school is not peanut free do you go ahead and send them or do you try to be sensitive just in case?  I am not trying to start drama at all, it is just an honest question. 

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fairegirl33
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM

If it isn't "peanut free" then send what she wants to eat for lunch.

Fairegirl33

OH she is adorable BTW :)

mandksmommy

if it's not peanut free i would send them. they would have told you not to if you couldn't.

graciesmom6206
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Quoting Fairegirl33:

OH she is adorable BTW :)

Thank you :)

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I think they would have told you if some one had peanut problems. Id think it was safe to pack them

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM

This but be prepared in case they change policy at any point.

Quoting mandksmommy:

if it's not peanut free i would send them. they would have told you not to if you couldn't.

Ber-Lynn
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM
Just send it with her if you can. There is not a problem until kids try and swap lunches but I think they watch for that know idk though. I know when I was a kid I did it.
mommyof32006
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM
Our school is peanut free, but we are allowed to send what we want in our kids lunches. The school says that they don't use products with peanuts for kids safety, but if we want to send something with peanuts to school for a lunch that's fine...we just have to remember the rules for a class snack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM

When DD went to school last year she stayed once a week for lunch bunch and brought PB & J the majority of the time. If there is not peanut free policy just go ahead and send if that is something she will eat.

graciesmom6206
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

Just send it with her if you can. There is not a problem until kids try and swap lunches but I think they watch for that know idk though. I know when I was a kid I did it.

As a kid, we did too.  There are only 6 kids in her kindergarten class so I think it will be OK.  But she is coming from a peanut free daycare facility (they provide the lunch) so it's never really come up. And after reading all these posts on here got me wondering that even though her principal said it was peanut free perhaps I should be more proactive, I don't know though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)