Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weight loss question, please help or at least read!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

Here are my measurements

Weight: 131

Measurements in inches: Tummy (measured around belly button) 34. Natural waist 30. Arms 10. Hips/booty 36. Chest 35.

So, as you can see, my weight and measurements aren't terrible. I'm 5'6. With having a pretty small body type though I still need to loose between 5-10 pounds. After my pregnancies I was 199- so I definitely know how to lose weight, but it's not working!! And, the only spot I need to loose is my muffin top/love handles. As you can see my lower tummy area is the only thing not matching evenly. Especially as you can see my natural waist is 30, but my lower tummy is 34.

I live a pretty active lifestyle. I run 2 days a week (one of those days I run 3 miles, the other I run anywhere between 6-12 miles, as I train for half marathons). I go to the gym and work on strength, abs, and occasionally ad some extra cardio in there. I eat healthy- probably healthy meals that come out to 1100- 1300 cals a day. This is always what I've done when trying to lose weight. I know I shouldn't lower my calories any. But even so, I have tried it- with it still not working.

Anyone have any ideas? If I could lose this 4-6 inches around my lower tummy, I would be set! I just can't get it to budge, I've been working my booty (er... tummy) off since May! Which I have lost 5 pounds because of-  but NO inches. Helppppp!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jemmy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM
bumo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jemmy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM
p*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Thanks

Mena929
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM

BUMP!

JordansMama2003
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I don't know, I would suggest more strength training to tone.

LoriaAnn
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM
It depends on exactly where you're getting your caloris from...try avoiding simple carbs and adding lots of fiber...add lean protine to build muscle which will help burn away the fat...reduce foods that make you bloat like broccoli and beans...drink more water (if you're not drinking enough your body will retain water and make you a bit puffy, with all that running you should be drinking quite a bit)...home something in there helps ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriaAnn
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM
Oh...and run at intervals...fast, slow, fast, slow...if you're running at a constant pace your body actually gets more efficient and burns less calories than if you alternate speeds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Oh I do, lol... I'm all over the map with my speed. I average about 12 min miles on my long runs, but I get that by doing anywhere between 13:30- 10:00 and it averages out. I also walk every 2 miles for a few minutes. =)

Quoting LoriaAnn:

Oh...and run at intervals...fast, slow, fast, slow...if you're running at a constant pace your body actually gets more efficient and burns less calories than if you alternate speeds.

Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Thank you! I eat pasta a couple times a week (since it's cheap but can be prepared healthy when I don't add any oil/butter and I usually skip the serving of sauce and use egg instead) so I'll cut down on that. If I'm not doing pasta I usually stick to leafy veggies- like a shrimp salad with extra lettuce. Or rice & beans- I'll cut the beans. I also do quite a few low cal chicken dishes.

I'm going to go Google a list of lean protien meals and add those to my diet to replace the pasta nights.

Thank you!!

Quoting LoriaAnn:

It depends on exactly where you're getting your caloris from...try avoiding simple carbs and adding lots of fiber...add lean protine to build muscle which will help burn away the fat...reduce foods that make you bloat like broccoli and beans...drink more water (if you're not drinking enough your body will retain water and make you a bit puffy, with all that running you should be drinking quite a bit)...home something in there helps ;)

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Well, I'm a fitness coach and I can gurarantee that you are not eating enough. 

Here's the thing, everyone has a BMR. The number of calories your body needs to function and be inactive--think digestion, blood flow and organ functions. Once you add activity, you have to consume more to offset that activity. 

For instance, I am 5'1", 36 and 115 lbs. I work out 6 days per week for 2-3 hours each time. My BMR is 1274. Since I work out 6 days per week, I will use the Harris Benedict Formula for exercise: BMR*1.725

1274*1.725=2197 ( this is what I would need to consume to maintain my current weight)

To lose 1 lb per week: 2197-500=1697

I have to consume between 1274-1697 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week since I work out so much. 

If you are working out that much-especially running and only eating that little 1100 calories, I am 99% sure that you are in starvation mode which means your body is storing fat as fuel and burning lean muscle instead. It only takes 2 days of eating less than your BMR to go into starvation mode. 

If you give me your age, height,weight and how many days per week you work out I can do the numbers for you. 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)