Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Movers took our stuff- UPDATE 9/28/2011 ****in Orange****HUGE UPDATE

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM
  • 908 Replies

Cafemom is telling me this post is too long so I'm trying to trim it down so I can still update everyone.  Just ask if you need back story.

UPDATE 8/23/2011

Wow today has been a roller coaster.  Where to begin?  So, if you haven't read replies I've made on my phone, I'll start there.  ABC has refused any accountability on the whole thing and are now refusing to answer their calls placing everything in Harp's hands.  Initially ABC told us that our belongings where in LA, then Harp told us they where in Washington, and finally, he told us they where still sitting in Gresham Oregon.  Nothing was adding up so we asked Harp to give us the name, address, unit number, and all info about the storage unit so that we could send someone and the police to check on things.  He didn't respond or answer our calls after that.  So we then got on the phone with the officer helping us in Portland who called Harp.  Harp previously told us that he was flying into Portland tomorrow at 4am and going to load up a truck to drive to us.  We looked up the flight info and of course, if you know Portland like we do, there are absolutely no flights landing in Portland at that time. 

I was obviously devastated.  NOTHING was adding up.  I was also attending my New Student Orientation at my college so I was getting text updates (my husband knows to never do this again) and I had to leave early because I was just too upset.  I don't know why I cried so much today, it was just an emotional day.  Anyway back to the update.

So, we contact the police and Harp finally calls us back.  He says that he has a court appearance in LA tomorrow so he can't come up but will be "sending a driver" to pick up our stuff.  We again asked for the address and unit number etc of the storage unit.  Hours later he sent us an address and put "Unit D" on it. 

We tracked down the storage unit and talked to the woman working there.  She said that she received a call from our police officer already this morning and there is NO unit D anywhere, but a Unit D45 or D23 etc.  So again, another wild goose chase.  She couldn't legally say too much but Harp DID NOT rent a storage unit from her and his name was not in the system.

At this point I was bawling.  I don't think I've ever cried so hard.  I knew that the storage unit was expiring and I didn't want our stuff to be sold if it was in fact there.  So, I asked my husband to give me the phone and I tried to convey to her if they have  a unit expiring that has a toddler race car bed in it than it was ours and we would pay what ever amount of money it took so that we could keep the unit and keep our belongings.  I'm pretty sure I broke her heart becasue she started to try to give more info and this is what we got :)

Legally, she kept saying that she couldn't release any details HOWEVER, she implied that someone else rented a storage unit that day..  And it was someone who does moves...  Totally implied it without breaking any laws, like, "I can't tell you that HARP didn't rent it, just like I can't tell you that Anthony DID rent it". 

My husabndandI thanked her profusely and got off the phone with her.  She will also be looking out for the "race car bed" in the storage unit and it takes 45 days past expiration for them to sell the unit so we have time. 

As I'm typing this, my DH just got a text from harp that said "I have a guy who may have room on his truck for your move, I'll let you know tonight"  SO WHO KNOWS but I highly doubt it. 

UPDATE 9/3/2011

Well, Harp officially fell off the face of the planet.  We are working with an attorney to send demand letters to access the "storage unit" to see if anything is in it.  Meanwhile ABC & Harp are no longer cooperating, answering phone calls etc.  Now for the good part (which a lot of you know already).  Tonight I was googing my heart out when I stumbled upon Harps info.  Got it all!  I'll be posting tomorrow when we hear more from LAPD.  Had to delete the other post because you aren't allowed to post personal info on line (even though I only posted his business stuff)  But thats ok, I've got it all now.  Fingers crossed that this is it.   

UPDATE 9/7/2011

Gosh, this is the post that never ends, right???  Today was another day of me crying my eyes out.

Where to start..  Well, my attorney sent out the letter and the storage facility should get it no later than Friday.  I got a call from the woman who is working with me at the storage facility.  Now, she legally can't tell me anything and feels so horrible her hands are tied.  She told me though the units will be up for auction on 9/28/2011 (AS IN MY UNIT).  Again, I can't move the unit into our name until its done legally.  So far, all we've done is wrote a demand letter (which working in the legal feild for about 5 years I"m not sure how much this will actually do). 

So, I called up the police to update the officer on our situation to see if he can help me.  There must be SOMETHING for him to do right??  They stole EVERYTHING I OWN!  NOPE.  They where jerks to me.  They said that once you sign a contract with a company then it becomes a civil case and the police can no longer be involved.  Too bad, so sad.  I argued and bawled my eyes to them with no answers.  I begged and pleaded, "how can you see this isn't a crime??  They stole everything!"  to which they replied "A person didn't steal it a company did"  I tried to make them see specific people stole it and they said its civil and they can no longer help me.

So, I called up my insruance thinking that FOR SURE they would want to help me gain possession of the storage unit to save them from paying out our entire insurance $.  After all, I'm NOT after $, I just want my stuff back!  They said they can't help me and all they can do is issue a check once they finish the investigation on their end. 

I was just so upset.  I cried my eyes out today.  When we moved a monthanda half ago, expecting our things here in one week, it was during the biggest heat wave of the summer...  So, I didn't pack any jackets.  Now its been pouring down rain for the last three days.  All I wanted this morning was my Columbia Rain Jacket (or winter jacket) or ANYTHING with a hood on it.  It is just so hard to have to keep waiting for SOMETHING to happen and all I want is just the normal comforts-  I want to charge my ipod.  I want to have a rain jacket to keep me dry.  I want to have a BED to sleep in.  I want pots and pans to cook with.  I just want my life back to normal and I can't because I have to wait on everyone else. 

So, here is where it stands today:  We have no idea what is in the storage unit..  It goes for auction unless the movers pay on it.  I'm filing my insurance claim and will be issued a check in about three monthsas long as the investigation goes ok. 

This whole situation just sucks.  :(  All I want is to be setteled into my new life.    

I just got a call from our attorney.  So, we started the process of legally taking possession of the storage unit (cease and something).  The attorney made the police get involved instead of just saying its a civil matter.  The attorney put pressure on the police, so the police have been trying to get a hold of Harp which they couldn't.  They did get a hold of Harp's employee though, Anthony.  They talked to him and he said that he was just hired to move the stuff into the storage unit until the movers took it.  So, the Gresham Police go to the unit and RIGHT before they went there, according to the storage facility, a big truck went and loaded up everything that was in the unit. 

So...  What does this mean???  Well, one of two things:

Least Probable:  They are finally going to deliver our stuff two months later. (<-  They have not returned a single phone call in WEEKS so very much doubt that)

Most probable:  They knew we where about to take possession of the storage unit so they emptied it and took off while it was still in their name and we couldn't access it.  They also knew that the Portland & Gresham Police had all of their information and where on their trail. 

So, we have NO idea.  All we know is according to Anthony when questioned by the police (over the phone) our stuff was IN the unit.  And, by the time they got to the unit tonight a truck came and took it all away.  No calls to us from the police or the movers. 

UPDATE 9/20/2011

So, Harp quit answering my phone calls as did ABC moving company.  I finally had a plan which was to give it a few days and then call from a blocked number.  It worked... When he answered he was pissed and he told me he quit the company A MONTH AND A HALF AGO!!!!   WTF!  (if you remember, he had our stuff in a storage unit) It hasn't even been 3 weeks since he said that he would be delivering my stuff!!  So, I asked him this up to him and all he would repeat to me was "I quit the company take it to ABC".  He was such an ass.  Then he hung up on me.

I had a meeting this afternoon with a USAA person who came to my house.  He is an investigator who used to work for NYPD (was a first repsonder during 9/11) but retired and now works for USAA.  He was really great.  He just asked a lot of questions and went over everything with me to see if he can get anywhere but he honestly doubts it.  :( 

Thatsit.  I really wish I had more to tell everyone but I don't :(  I hope my new NYPD/USAA friend here can go kick their butt but I really doubt it.  Fingers crossed he gets somewhere.  I'm hoping because this is an insurance company who doesn't want to pay money and I don't want a claim I want my stuff back, this will motivate them to track it down..  I have my doubts and I know I should just give up on the whole thing but I just can't until I know its gone for sure.

Hi Everyone, just hopping on because I see this post bumped occasionally.  Wish I had more to update but I truly don't  USAA just finished with their investigation which lead to a bunch of dead ends :(  My investigator was awesome and really nice, he said he is going to try to push it forward to get it all resolved quickly as possible so that we can move forward in our lives because he said he believes its definitely stolen.  :(  So, no new news but hoping that soon we can just replace everything thats gone.  I really want to thank everyone for being such a huge support system.  This has been the hardest time by far I've ever had.  I still am in disbelief that I literally paid someone to steal everything we owned.  Horrible situation but hoping the insurance takes care of some of it so we can just move forward.  I want nothing more than to put this behind me.

UPDATE:  9/28/2011 
I made another post because it all went down last night, this post was too long so CM kept giving me errors (making me delete a lot).  So,  Follow this link to to keep up on this never ending saga.  But this is a huge, huge update.  After I found this out I went and resubmited stories to KATU, Oregonian, Fox, Consumer Watch Dog, was able to track down an DOT number so made a complaint through there:

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be for you. Good luck!

by Laura on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Holy crap! Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by bilf on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Yo = to. Dumb autocorrect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM
I was just telling my husband about this yesterday. I can't even imagine. We are going to hire movers for our next move, and I was telling him I'm going to be researching my ass off after reading about your issues. Best of luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Good luck! This has been going on forever hopefully you get everything soon! Bump for update

by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Quoting abbysmommy429:

I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be for you. Good luck!

by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

that sucks so bad ~ I hope you guys can finally get your stuff back. 

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Ahh that's terrible .. I hope you get all worked out.. If I ever move cross country I think Ill get a uhaul and never let my stuff out of my sight after this story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Kayleen on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Ugh..I would be livid. I really hope you eventually get your stuff.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Oh no! That's awful- hopefully someone is willing to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)