Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Punishments that seem as much of a punishment on yourself.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM
  • 25 Replies

My 13 y/o daughter just got finished being punished for attempting to sneak out.  SHe doesn't respond to groundings, extra chores and so on so this is what I did:

I made her sleep with me for 2 weeks, which meant going to bed at the same time and waking at the same time (10PM to 6AM during summer vacation).  Except I would wake her in the middle of the night and make her do push ups and them back to bed.  As soon as she woke in the morning, she had to run 3  miles on the treadmill (she'd rather run outside in the sun) with no entertainment (no music, no tv, just the dingy unfinished basement wall to look at) while I watched her.  One time she got all snippity about the lack of music, so I did put on music, I found a Lawrence Welk cassette tape & made her listen to that (that is torture for a 13 y/o).

Well anyway, my daughter said that she was thoroughly impressed with that punishment and is writing it down to use on her kids when the time comes, lol.

It just sucked, because I really hated waking up in the middle of the night to make her do her push ups.  She doesn't know that tho, she knows that's the time I wake to go pee, so she tought I didn't care about getting up.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hammomof2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM
I like that idea and may do something similar as they get older, they are only 2 and 5 right now...my mom hated grounding me to the house because I would sit beside her and just stare until she caved because I was getting on her nerves
dandylynes
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM

The problem with grounding my daughter is that I have to work a few hours and she would just end up doing something behind my back, plus if she doesn't get social interaction, she gets insanely depressed & literally starts doing things like cutting herself.

Quoting hammomof2:

I like that idea and may do something similar as they get older, they are only 2 and 5 right now...my mom hated grounding me to the house because I would sit beside her and just stare until she caved because I was getting on her nerves

MarshaLynn04
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I really disagree with this punishment.  To me forcing someone to work out and wake up in the middle of the night is abusive.

A.Perry
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM

LOL at Lawerence Welk!

triforcechick
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM
I like your style
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Regina_Falange
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM
The middle of the night thing was a bit over the top. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBDslittlemam08
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM

VERY GOOD IDEA!

Once DS is a little older, PT will become both required and used as punishment.

becauseIsaid
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Yea I dont think I would have made her get up in the middle of the night.

dandylynes
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Hmmmm, I wouldn't really go as far as calling it abusive.  She's been militarisitcally trained for the past 3 years through a Navy youth program.  They do that all the time, waking them up in the middle of the night to perform duties/tasks, which do include some form of PT.  In fact the waking up in the middle of the night has actually been beneficial to her, she can wake up & think and do what she needs to right away without being a lazy ass & spending an hour or so trying to wake up with coffee & such.

As far as the running thing, she runs every morning anyway, I just took away the doing it outside and made it boring on the treadmill.  She still does run outside, in the afternoon on her own.

So, how should I punish her?  Remember, groundings and extra chores are not an option.  I have had her do things like write essays, but she likes to write.

Quoting MarshaLynn04:

I really disagree with this punishment.  To me forcing someone to work out and wake up in the middle of the night is abusive.

Trackerchick
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Quoting Regina_Falange:

The middle of the night thing was a bit over the top. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)