Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anyone with Pulmonary Hypertension? Or do you have it yourself? I really need some info.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

I had a CT scan of my chest the other day because I have been having chest pain and shortness of breath, plus a million other things that may or may not be related, and the test showed that I have an enlarged pulmonary artery. The doctor said that is a major sign of Pulmonary Hypertension and they think I have it but I have to have a few other tests to CONFIRM it..... but that is what they think it is from my symptoms and the results of the CT scan.

At first I thought .... okay, hypertension.... it's just high blood pressure in the lungs (that is kind of how they described it).... so I thought oh, I can just take meds for it and it will be fine. But now that I have been doing my research on it, I am getting really worried. The articles and stuff that I have read about it all basically say the same thing -- there is no cure and even with medication, you will basically just slowly suffocate and eventually die. Just what I needed to hear! A couple of websites said the average life expectancy after diagnosis is 3 - 7 years. I am only 23! Omg... I am just really freaking out about this. So if anyone has any personal experience with this or if you know anyone who is dealing with it, any info would really be appreciated.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crzy4mc
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Do not worry unless you're 100% diagnosed and even then you should just go with what your doc tells you, the internet tends to exaggerate many times and often times will make you worry for nothing.  Hang in there.

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM

BUMP!

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I know but I use good, trustworthy sites like WebMD and Mayo Clinic. I think those are pretty accurate but idk.

Quoting crzy4mc:

Do not worry unless you're 100% diagnosed and even then you should just go with what your doc tells you, the internet tends to exaggerate many times and often times will make you worry for nothing.  Hang in there.

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

BUMP!

crzy4mc
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I found this out online ... Pulmonary hypertension can be a life-threatening situation if identified in past due stages or even left without treatment.  <~~ On medicalarticles.com.  You've quit smoking and that's great, and you will probably get treatment soon. :)

crzy4mc
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

BUMP!

crzy4mc
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

It seems like there are quite a few treatments for it.  Please keep me posted on your condition, and TRY to relax, I know how overwhelming news like this can make you. feel better

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Quoting crzy4mc:

I found this out online ... Pulmonary hypertension can be a life-threatening situation if identified in past due stages or even left without treatment.  <~~ On medicalarticles.com.  You've quit smoking and that's great, and you will probably get treatment soon. :)

I know it's good that I quit smoking but I just keep thinking if I never smoked in the first place I probably wouldn't be in this situation now. I smoked for almost 10 years. Plus, I took Adderall for about 1.5 years -- from '08 until I got pregnant with the twins. And it was a high dose. I'm sure that didn't help either.

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Quoting crzy4mc:

It seems like there are quite a few treatments for it.  Please keep me posted on your condition, and TRY to relax, I know how overwhelming news like this can make you. feel better

I am trying not to worry since I don't know FOR SURE yet but this is a scary thing to even THINK ABOUT having. I don't see the cardiologist until the 29th and the pulmonologist on the 30th. So I have a long wait. Unless things get worse before then -- the pulmonologist's office called today and told me if I'm not feeling better or if I get worse by Monday to come in and they will admit me to the hospital.

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)