Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pell grants, read if you know anything about them.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM
  • 12 Replies

i used to think i was eligible for pell grants but now i'm not so sure. i don't plan on going to school this year but am planning to shortly in my future. i'm not married, have to children, and rely soley on my partner financially. i know i know, a lot of people don't agree with being the that kind of situation, w/e. because i don't provide more than half for my children financially and because i cannot get my parents tax information, i'm THINK i'm only eligible for loans. if that true or is there any way to get grants in my situation?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodit2u
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

It sounds like you would get grants depending on your income. If you aren't married you are considered a single parent.

toopicky429
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM
You should. I'm a SAHM (we don't get PA), and I got the big Pell this year. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM
The pell grant is based off of your income and tax return. Do you file a tax return? Do you claim your children? Since you have children you are considered independent of your parents even if you are under 24.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jplumb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Both my husband and myself qualify for the pell grant. I do not work and am a sahm. I was going to go to school this semester but the school kinda messed things up so I couldn't enroll before the deadline but come spring semester, I will be.

michaelabitner
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM

my significant other claimed me and my children as dependants on his tax return, so while looking at the fasfa application i was getting a little confused. do i click i have children and are more than half responsible for them(i am physically but not financially) or do i click that i am not more than half responsible for children. according to their help on the side of the page because i'm not financially responsible for any one else and i'm not married that i click no which says i'm a dependant.

Quoting FL2AK:

The pell grant is based off of your income and tax return. Do you file a tax return? Do you claim your children? Since you have children you are considered independent of your parents even if you are under 24.

michaelabitner
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

your married so it's different for you.

Quoting jplumb:

Both my husband and myself qualify for the pell grant. I do not work and am a sahm. I was going to go to school this semester but the school kinda messed things up so I couldn't enroll before the deadline but come spring semester, I will be.

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Go to FAFSA.gov and apply. They can tell you better if you qualify than we can.

michaelabitner
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

thats what led me here. i didn't know if the conclusion i came to was right or wrong. am i dependant and need parental info because i'm not married and do not support anyone or myself financial, my s/o provides for us. or am i independant because i have kids and just provide my s/o's tax info on my application even though we aren't married.

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

Go to FAFSA.gov and apply. They can tell you better if you qualify than we can.

michaelabitner
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

toopicky429
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I would call financial aid at your school. I think they could help you a lot more than any of us can. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)