Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM
  • 19 Replies

Just want to connect with someone who has issues because of Celiac.  Thanks.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I am not familiar with it, my niece has it and is on steroids. Poor girl!

big_sky
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Oh you're not serious?  Steriods???  Poor baby!  How old is she?  I'm just learning about it, and this is some serious stuff.  My doctor told me I have a higher risk of developing intestinal cancer.  I don't even know if changing my diet to gluten free has even helped because I have no symptoms.  My daughter has horrible symptoms, and when she starts itching, is bloated and has stomach pains, she knows she got into something she shouldn't have.  Thanks for writing. =)

brandiaubrey
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM
I have it. What would you like to know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lullababy
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I have it

big_sky
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Do you have symptoms, and what type?  I'm interested in getting a gluten free bead machine because I can't find decent bread to have sandwiches with.  What kind of bread do you use?  All the ones I've tried, they are so dry, they crumble and taste awful.  Do you bake things from scratch, like cookies, cakes?  If so, what is the best type of flour to use?  Rice flour seems to make things feel grainy in the mouth.  Anything you can think of that you feel comfortable telling me about. =)  Thanks for writing. 

Lullababy
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I like to use bobs redmill and pamelas for bread baking.  I use my breadman machine.  I like the hearty bread the best.  Udi's makes a tasty white bread.  If you make a flour mix of starch, rice, and a bean flour, it will work well for baking.  We make pb cookies without flour- 1 cup of pb, 1 egg and 1 cup sugar.

Some things to consider- rice is not as nutritionally dense as wheat and is not sufficient replacement ntritionally.  Rice also has a higher glycemic index than wheat.  Its best to stear clear of as many highly processed foods as possible.

There are some celiac group on CM you can join.

href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers
nikkik526
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Dont know anything about it but heres a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_sky
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Thank you lullababy.  Glad to see the flour formula you use.  Do you use a regular bread machine, or do you have the gluten free bread machine?  Thanks again.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM

*raised hand

I do, 6 years since diagnosis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)