Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this just imaginary friends or something else?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 4 year old DS is starting to freak me out. He started about a year ago having what I took as imaginary friends. He would start talking to himself and carrying on half conversations while he was playing. Then he begin introducing and talking about his imaginary friends. He would say things like Bob and I are going to play in my room. This didn't worry me either because all the names and situations were familiar. But now its gotten to the point where things are becoming strange. His imaginary friends now have names that hes never heard before and hes talking about crazy things. Like tonight he called me into his bedroom and said "Mommy your baby is in trouble. Not me and not Haylee but Dockson. Dockson is lost outside and you need to find him." So I was a little weirded out about this but I just took it as nonsense talk and told him that both my babies were in bed and safe and it was time for him to go to sleep. Then he told me "No mommy, Dockson is in trouble and you need to find him." I finally agreed to go look for him because I didn't know how else to calm him. Then he called me in three more times asking if I had found Dockson yet and when I finally said I did he asked to see him and if we were bringing him to the cook out tomorrow. This is not an isolated event but it is the weirdest so far considering we don't know anyone with the name Dockson or anything close and I only have two children. 

So do you think this sounds like just normal imaginary friend stuff or something more? My son has a lot of development delays so I am not sure if it may be something stemming from that or something else entirely or just normal. Any input would be great.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
youngmamma11
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM
I don't know. My daughter had two imaginary friends. One named neesa and the other garsa.. garsa was always misbehaving.. if my daughter did anything she knew she wasn't supposed to it was because garsa told her to.. or garsa does it. Garsa comes and goes now.. she sometimes talks about her sometimes goes weeks without mentioning her. The imaginary friends kinda creeped me out at first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acampbell31207
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM

well that makes me feel a little better since garsa sounds like a random name too. The fact that I have no idea where he would come up with the name dockson is one of the things that threw me off.

Quoting youngmamma11:

I don't know. My daughter had two imaginary friends. One named neesa and the other garsa.. garsa was always misbehaving.. if my daughter did anything she knew she wasn't supposed to it was because garsa told her to.. or garsa does it. Garsa comes and goes now.. she sometimes talks about her sometimes goes weeks without mentioning her. The imaginary friends kinda creeped me out at first

Kitkat61277
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:29 PM
Normal. I remember doing this as a kid, conversations, the whole thing. Mine was Scooby Doo. We had great talks and he came with me everywhere. I grew out of it. On a side note, I watch my little one playing sometimes and just wonder if children can see ghosts that we can't see or something. She looks at air and smiles and giggles. Is it her guardian angel?
Kitkat61277
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Find and watch the movie "Drop Dead Fred" super funny movie about imaginary friends and what happens to tem when we become adults.
1likeme
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM
My four year old came up with Jenkin and he tells me his address, his parents, he invites Jenkin over for dinner. He argues with his brothers about Jenkin. It's interesting to say the least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)