Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stop being so dang shallow!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

My sis and I have completely different  'types' as far as men are concerned.  She was in the 'In' crowd in high school, and even into adulthood has always gone for the type of guy who would have been the most popular guy in school. Hotness factor is her #1 priority. Therefore, she's had her heart broken countless times. :(. She was engaged to a guy who she started dating five years ago, who wouldn't even officially call her his 'girlfriend' for the first two years they dated, cuz he wanted to keep his options open. The only reason he ever proposed was because she broke up with him because he wouldn't, so to get her back he proposed, but she caught him cheating the other day so she broke up with him.

These guys who've spent their whole lives being told how hot they are are like kids in the proverbial candy store. They have women throwing themselves at them all the time and it gives them an ego. I realize not ALL good looking guys are like this. I'm sure some of you will tell me you have a total hottie who never even LOOKS at another woman, but as far as I've seen,  the hotter a guy is, the worst boyfriend or husband he makes.

I've always just looked at the heart and the character of a guy, and that's why I've had a much happier love history than my sis, other than my ex husband, and that's just because he pretended to be a totally different guy than he actually is.

The fiance' I have now has the attitude that he thinks he's the luckiest guy in the world because he's with me. Little does he realize, I'm the lucky one. At least I realize it, though.

I wish my sis would look more at the heart of a guy and less at the superficial aspects. I want her to be happy, and to stop seeing her get her heart broken. :(

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loisl25
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM

BUMP!

AmericanChild82
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM
I to know people who are shallow like her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM

While I agree that attraction is not fully based on looks, it is part of it.  But it sounds like your sister has focused on looks a bit too much.  Has she learned anything from it?

harpsichord
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Quoting TheMrs407:

While I agree that attraction is not fully based on looks, it is part of it.  But it sounds like your sister has focused on looks a bit too much.  Has she learned anything from it?

this

mistie900
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM
I agree

Quoting TheMrs407:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I hope she has. I feel bad for her. :(

Quoting mistie900:

I agree

Quoting TheMrs407:

harpsichord
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM

have you brought this up to her?

loisl25
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Yeah, she says she likes who she likes.

TheMrs407
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Do you think part of it is the attention or the "rank" of being with an attractive person?  Maybe she is attracted more to the life style than the person, even their looks.

FooLynRoo
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I have an exbest friend - a real skank.

Anyhow we went to high school together until she dropped out after failing 9th grad 3 times.

I started dating a guy who wasn't mister popular, who wasn't a drug addict, etc he had his circle of friends and so did I.

Because he wasn't a druggie or twart athority and cut school or general be a bad ass she use to tease me telling me I was dating a "nerd".

I ignored her - after years they got along well enough.

FF - 20 years. Im Married to the Nerd, with a 17 year old son a home two cars , good job etc. General life security and happiness.

She's at one point had to live in my basment until I kicked her out - now she's living off someones couch , one abortion, 3 venerial diseases, being robbed blind 2 times (and helping them rob me blind the 3rd time) .

She's coming up fast and hard on 40 with NOTHING to show for it.

I laugh everytime I think about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)