Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am worried about my dd....no bashing!!!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM
  • 21 Replies

As a lot of you know, I have a special needs dd.  Well, we finally had a month with no hospitaliztions or nothing to stress her out, so we decided to break her completely of the bottle.  Well, now she is refusing to drink anything (this is day 3) really.  She will take tiny sips every once in awhile.  She has very little urine output.  I could leave her in a diaper all day and the diaper would be barely wet.  She isn't dehydrated though.  She still is producing saliva and tears (even though her saliva is more "foamy" that drooling).  Should I give in and give her a bottle so she has something in her system?  Should I stick to my guns and hold out?  I don't want her to need to go in for IV fluids and cause her more stress.  She is extremely stubborn too.  I will give her juice, water, gatorade, milk, whatever she is asking for and put it in her sippy cup and she will have a fit (even though she would only get water in her bottle) and then 30 minutes later she will take a sip and tell me all done.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Are you using a hard spount or a soft spout sippy cup?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

ffpm10
What is her special need?
And, yes, foamy saliva is indicative of dehydration. As is the decrease of UO.
She needs a bottle and possibly a doctors appt to check her electrolytes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I would give her a bottle, three days with very little to drink is a long time for the body to go with out fluids

Buggy979

why did you just stop cold turkey?  I would have done it slowly... see I would give in but this is your child..

BEXi
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM

A child with special needs, depending on which kind, should probably be delayed from things like  this. But then again, its your child and there is no handbook when to ween your child off the bottle.

Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM
How old is she and what special needs are you facing? What type of sippy are you trying to use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBDslittlemam08
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Yes, she is indeed dehydrated. Foamy or sticky saliva plus low/no urine output are 2 very classic signs.

I'd say give in for a bit and try and figure out the issue. You said you've already had a month free of hospitals and stressors, don 't ruin the record for just dehydration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sondamom0828
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM

She is 5 with Down Syndrome (but she has had lots of hospitaliztions, me having a baby and being gone, the baby passing, etc...so lots of stresses for her).  She was only getting 2 bottles a day anyways (hard spout sippy since she bites holes in the soft spout sippy's and even the nipples of her bottles). 

momme2anangel
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM

What is the specisl needs. I took my older 2 off the bottle cold turkey at a year and I know that was hell. If your daughter has special needs I would probably do a slow wean and give a bottle. foamy drool is also a sign of dehydration. If give a bottle and wait for a very happy baby!

jostock
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Quoting Buggy979:

why did you just stop cold turkey?  I would have done it slowly... see I would give in but this is your child..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)