Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Your child calling someone else mom???

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM
  • 73 Replies
Would you allow your child to call your ex's wife or gf mom? My stepchildren are 8 and 7 they started to call me mom and my husband told me it wasent a good idea because they're mom would flip out. Well i continued to allow it and one day they're mother texts my husband saying i do not want my kids to call amber mom. She is not they're mother. I was kind of sad because i felt like wow i feel really special his kids have accepted me and my daughter( not my husbands bio but is the only dad she has) and now they cant call me mom. Personally i wouldent mind because i know my daughter and son and baby know who they're mommy is. So Would it bother you that your child called the step parent mom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2girls07
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM
Yeah I would be upset if my children called someone else mom and my DH would not like for our children to call someone else dad. If I was not around and stepmom was raising them maybe not, but as long as I am raising my children I will be there only mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rene04
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM
I would flip if DS ever called someone else Mom. My DF's kids don't call me Mom. They know I will be considered their stepmom and introduce me that way but they all just call me by my name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I would be upset and hurt but I believe that children should be the ones to decide what to call the step parent. I don't believe I have the right to disallow it.

honey27
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:16 PM

my kids are not calling anyone else mom, not even their grandma.

sugareemommee
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I would never allow my children to call anyone other than me, their mommy, mommy. 

stellarmom1
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:19 PM
Yeah I would be upset. I understand how honored you feel but I don't think they should call you mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM
I wouldnt want anyone else to be called. But also feel that if ds is that age and he chose to call his stepmom (if and when he ever has one) mom, then that is his decision. Now if bio dad told ds to call her mom then id be pissed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Probably. I don't see how what he would call someone else would change how they felt about me or my abilities as a mom.

If we were apart, I know my hubby would choose someone to treat my child well, and I would love for them to be close with her and feel like they love her like a mom.

However, I do understand that some women don't feel the same as I do, and I understand that.

FL2AK
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM
I have always left that up to my children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Not really. Maybe they could call you mommy amber instead of just mom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN