Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gay Marriage/ Christian Marriage & Marriage Benefits? You really didn't know!

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM
  • 64 Replies

Another post got me thinking...

When speaking of benefits of marriage, their are so many that we, as heterosexual couples, take for granted everyday.  These are compiled of about 400 state benefits and 1000 federal benefits.  Here are just a few.  Note...this is not nearly a complete list.

status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent;

benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare

wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children

bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child

joint parenting

joint adoption

joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents)

dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support

immigration and residency for partners from other countries

inheritance automatically in the absence of a will

joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment

inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate)

spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home

veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns

joint filing of customs claims when traveling

decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her

crime victims' recovery benefits

domestic violence protection orders

judicial protections and evidentiary immunity

FYI...

My 15yo son is gay.  As of Last month I am President of our local PFLAG Chapter.  My voice will make a difference.

KNOWLEGE IS A POWERFUL THING!

Why shouldn't my son and his partner (in the way future, lol) be able to have al these benefits?  Keep in mind, he is allowed to join the military and fight for your rights, the very rights that give you the right to vote on his marriage.

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW

by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM
I hope your voice is heard loud and strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Thank you.  So many think it is just a religious thing.  It's not.  They think it's just a pice of paper.  It's not.

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW

queenmary1o1
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickysmom71
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I hope your voice is heard and I agree 100% with what you said!!!!

Cymbeline
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Thank you.  So many think it is just a religious thing.  It's not.  They think it's just a pice of paper.  It's not.

Yes, exactly. :)

I hope some read this and are capable of understanding.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Quoting nickysmom71:

I hope your voice is heard and I agree 100% with what you said!!!!

Thank you.  I was surprised in another post, where someone asked what rights/benefits.

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW

mom2camy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM
Thank you for posting this! This is a civil rights issue and more importantly a humans rights issue that is extremely important to me! I have a sil and a very close cousin who are gay. Anyone who says they shouldn't be entitled to the same rights every other straight man or woman has is just despicable and is an opinion made from ignorance and pure prejudice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmazingGrace05
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Hope you don't mind, I snagged part of your siggie to replace part of mine - before it just said "pro gay marriage" but I LOVE your slogan!!!

From Ashes to Beauty

"Religion divides people. Faith in something brings people together." Flight of the Phoenix

I am a breast & bottle feedingvaccinating, anti-cosleeping, CIO, extended rear facing & harnessing, middle-of-the road, christian, STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW, animal loving, pro-disicipline, pro-life, young & married after my son was born, loving & hardworking SUPER MOM! who loves my family more than anything on this earth!

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Quoting mom2camy:

Thank you for posting this! This is a civil rights issue and more importantly a humans rights issue that is extremely important to me! I have a sil and a very close cousin who are gay. Anyone who says they shouldn't be entitled to the same rights every other straight man or woman has is just despicable and is an opinion made from ignorance and pure prejudice.

BRAVO!

Many don't understand exactly what "marriage" benefits there are.

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Quoting AmazingGrace05:

Hope you don't mind, I snagged part of your siggie to replace part of mine - before it just said "pro gay marriage" but I LOVE your slogan!!!

I wish more people would be proud to use it.  Unfortnatley, not.  I also have a pin on my purse that says it.

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)