Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving Tips? Got Any?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:10 AM
  • 5 Replies

I've already started packing a bit for our move on the 1st, but I want some tips. Time-savers, money-savers, anything! I have moved twice before. Once to NY and I had very few things and another when I did a do-it-yourself move onto base and that was a DISASTER. Everything that could go wrong did. I'm sure I won't have a repeat of last time because it's not going to snow and freeze overnight. Tips ladies, come on!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

My tips: Go room by room and pack nonessentials (decorations, pictures, etc.) first. Label boxes by room as you go, noting whether things are fragile or not. Towels and T-shirts can double as packing material for breakable items, too, saving you on packing material. Leave your kid's room for last but when you get to the new house, unpack the kid's stuff first and try to set it up in the room similarly to the way it was at the old place. That helps smooth the transition for the kid and gives them a safe place to play out of the way while you're working on the rest of the stuff. Use trash bags solo or inside boxes to transport cleaning supplies, makeup, shampoo, etc., that might leak en route.

I've moved way too many times, but these are the things that have helped me lose less hair in the process. ;)

Good luck!

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:22 AM
When you pick an item up to pack it make a decision whether you really need it or not. My guidelines for our last move was, have I used this item in the last 6 months, is it sentimental(pictures, holiday stuff), is it essential. If the answer was no it went in the trash and I didn't even have to pack it! Made the packing and moving much easier and made my new home less cluttered! Good luck with your move!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livyla
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Everytime we  have moved i down size...i take what we really need.. and things of importance .....the rest i donate to charity.

TheHighLife
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

We are extremely minimalist, so our move was really easy, but I did pack an overnight back for us with all of our essential items, paperwork and such. 

Donate, sell or trash anything you don't want to take with you.

Think about your new space - if you have 25% less closet space than donate 25% of your clothes or consider a new bed with storage drawers. In fact, if you'll need ANY new large furniture pieces to fit your space than you may as well just have them delivered and save room in the moving van!  

If you have things that you're taking apart and reassembling (e.g. bed, computer, etc.) then label them with masking tape so you know how to put them together quickly. Put any loose parts into a bag and tape it to the item. 

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

All of this. I just made my 13th move in 11 years.

Quoting bamababe1975:

My tips: Go room by room and pack nonessentials (decorations, pictures, etc.) first. Label boxes by room as you go, noting whether things are fragile or not. Towels and T-shirts can double as packing material for breakable items, too, saving you on packing material. Leave your kid's room for last but when you get to the new house, unpack the kid's stuff first and try to set it up in the room similarly to the way it was at the old place. That helps smooth the transition for the kid and gives them a safe place to play out of the way while you're working on the rest of the stuff. Use trash bags solo or inside boxes to transport cleaning supplies, makeup, shampoo, etc., that might leak en route.

I've moved way too many times, but these are the things that have helped me lose less hair in the process. ;)

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)