Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

omg my new born dd just scared me! i'm in tears.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:11 AM
  • 26 Replies
I've had to formula feed my newborn today until 4am this morning because I went to the er last night and had to have a CT scan done of my stomach. I have a post explaining why. I'm still in a lot of pain from my csection on the 3rd of Sept. Anyways this has happened 2times tonight. 1st time I was around 9pm I had just got done feeding and burping her and went to change her and all of a sudden she started spitting up it was coming out if her mouth and nose. OMG it scared the hell out of me. Dh said it was normal. But it never happened with my 4yr old DD. Just now when I was feeding Kahlan it happen again. I'm in tears. I'm petrified to go to sleep right now. I'm afraid its going to happen while I'm asleep and she going to drown on her own spit up. Even though she is sleeping on her back. I so want to just put her in bed with me. But I can't. Why is my fear getting to me so much right now? I can't wait till 4am so I can bf her again. Stupid formula, stupid dye contrast for the CT scan. My poor baby. It wasn't a little spit up. It was a lot like almost a oz if not more. To me that's not normal. Please calm me down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM
Its ok hun, really. My son was only breast fed and he had terrible reflux. It was like the exorcist. It will be fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstkn.identity
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM
Ds use to do that bad. It wasnt spit up but horrible projectile vomit. First time he asperated and quit breathing. I got so scared. Apparently formula doesnt agree with your dd.

((hugs)) momma that is scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM
I've never seen a baby spit up from their nose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razelda
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Spit up is common. But there is a certain point when you should be concerned.

You could let the baby sleep in the swing tilted all of the way back. That's what I had to do with my DD, and pedi said it was perfectly safe.

Secondly, you should also talk to your pedi about the amount of spit up. It could be anything from the type of formula, brand of formula, to your burping techniques. I am not trying to say that you're doing anything wrong, but simply just to rule out possibilities.

meagan0716
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM
Thank you ladies. In the morning I'm going to calm the pedi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meagan0716
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:32 AM
I went and got her bouncy seat thing and put it in the crib
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skeeterbug1224
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:40 AM

The same thing would happen with my DD. Out of her nose and everything when I went to burp her. I was breastfeeding at the time. I know with her, it was the fact that my milk never seemed to ease up, if that makes sense. I was engorged and never seemed to level off appropriately, so she was getting too much too fast. Make sure the nipples you are using on the bottles are not too big, that way the milk is not coming out too fast and chocking her, causing her worse reflux issues. That was the issue with my dd, in the end, I had to use a bottle to feed her, because like I said, my breasts never really leveled off...

In the meatime, speak with her pedi and rule out other possibilities :) Good luck, and don't worry too much, babies spit up, and I know it is horrible when it's to an extreme like that, but they out grow it eventually.

hugs

hendersoneve
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:48 AM

My daughter was like that too.  It could be several things. She could be allergic to milk so you could try soy milk. You may not be burping her well which was my issue because sometimes I'd burp her for an hour and nothing!! So I had to kind of manipulate her head and neck a little bit to ger her to burp lol my Doc told me don't worry you wont break her lol.  i'm sure if someone was looking it would be quite a site  to see LOL but once she burped i'd sit with her on my chest for maybe about 30 min just incase she needed to burp again. The Doc also told me to feed her less and more often. Not sure how old your daughter is but instead of 3cc every 3 hours. You'd give her 1.5 cc's for 1.5 hours. It would never fail i'd give her the "recommended amount" and she'd throw half of it up and then be hungry again. It was not convenient for me as a working mom but that helped alot. So I would venture to say your issue may just be how your daughter is positioned when you burp her and how often and how much your feeding her.

epoh
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM
My son too.

The first time he sneezed and milk came from his nose I thought it was cute. But then when it continued and happened again and again, I learned it was a sign of reflux.

Thankfully it's just the formula that is bothering your baby and that will be over soon enough.

My son is 14 mos and still refluxes sometimes, though not nearly as often as it used to be. I have stock in those gerber "diapers."

Quoting abstractmommy:

Its ok hun, really. My son was only breast fed and he had terrible reflux. It was like the exorcist. It will be fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandiii04
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:53 AM
My DD was born June 10th and for the first 4 weeks she would spit up a massive amount. The sphincter muscle to the stomach may not be mature enough yet. Try to change the baby BEFORE a feeding and keep the baby at an upright angle for at least 10 minutes after eating. That helped my DD a lot. Now she RARELY spits up (maybe once every 3 weeks).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)