Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My four year old stole a pack of gum.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

Yes thats right.

For what reason, I have no clue.

We were at a store and when we were checking out she kept talking about her new phone and how she was gonna show us when we got home.

We get outside and she pulls a pack of gum from underneath her shirt. I got so furious. I asked her if she wanted anything while we were checking out because she got a 100% sticker at preschool she declined.

I grabbed her by her shirt and pulled her back in and demanded she apologize to the store guy and i preceeded to pay for 65.cent pack of gum.

I do not understand why she did this. I didnt even see her pick it up. I was embarrassed and it didnt seem to phase her. 

Did I do the right thing? What can i do to prevent her from doing this?

She just found out about a month ago she is gonna have a baby brother. or sister in march..do you think this is causing her to act out?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommaMurph
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM

I shouldnt have even paid for it. I dont know why i did that. It's not okay to steal anything and then get to keep it. :(

.mysweetmelissa
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM
I wouldn't have gotten the gum still, but she definitely needed to apologize. Stealing at some point is fairly common in small kids. I doubt it has to do with your pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Berkley
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM
I think it's normal for kids to act out or do things for attention when they find out they're having a sibling, or when the sibling actually arrives. Assuming she's an only child now, it's probably going to be a pretty big transition for her, and the more you can involve her with the pregnacy and spend lots of one on one time with her before the baby is born, the easier it will make it on her I think.

As far as the stealing, I think you did the right thing by making her go back and return it and apologize. I'd probably initiate some other sort of punishmet (like grounding from something she really likes for a day or something to that effect) since you said she doesn't seem phased by it. It's important that she doesn't do it again, especially next time with larger or more expensive items.

Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaMurph
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:50 AM

I honestly think i paid for it because i was so embarrassed. 

Reason i mentioned the baby was because she picked this name out and i told her no that i have friends who use that name alot and she went in her room and cried until i went in there and said I would think about it. That was Monday and then this happened at 3 pm on tuesday. maybe thats just in my head lol

3pippings
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:56 AM

That might be she's feeling something/somebody is going to invade her territory (a sibling). And you did right to make her apologize and paid for the gum to let her see anything taken from a shop has to be paid though your main idea might due to embarrassment.

lightwolf
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:58 AM
My sister stole a necklace one time from Claire's. Mom was upset but my sister's dad didn't see the big deal. She was I think four at the time. I stole a rabbit keychain that when you pulled it's tail it moved when I was a kid. My 21 year old sister stole a bottle of nail polish when she was small. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

Wife to Falcon (10/19/2006). 

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Honestly, that's something kids do between the age of 4-6.  (Disclaimer: not saying every single 4-6 year old will steal something.)  I was actually just reading something about that earlier today (or, I should say, yesterday.)  Developmentally, they reach a stage where everything is there for them, and belongs to them.  The become extremely possessive of the things that truly ARE theirs, and they increasingly desire the belongings of others around them to the point that they will simply take whatever it is that they are wanting, regardless of expected (and previously displayed) behavior or known consequence for such actions.

Just make sure you sit down and talk with her again about what stealing means, and how we respect others and the things that belong to them, not us.  Good luck!  :)

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

My uncle did that with a toy or something when he was maybe 4, she called the cops and they put him in the back of the car, it scared the hell out of him, he never tried that again.

littleladiesx3
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 12:11 AM

hey I searched out a post about kids stealing because my 5 y/o did the EXACT same thing, except i took her back to apologize and give it back.

THEN some lady who witnessed it all GAVE her 2.25 to reward her for her 'honesty' - I said fine keep the money BUT you are not using it to buy gum.

She is also having just started school, being separated from her little sister for the first time in a long time, and expecting a new sibling in the next couple months. I figured it may be part of a normal but strange developmental phase, but hey I had no idea kids had a knack for being so bloody sneaky as to get away with shoplifting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)