• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over My Dead Body Will We EVER Have Another Dog

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM
  • 85 Replies

About a month ago, we got a puppy. I fell in love instantly.

We've been trying to train him to use the puppy pads, but he just refuses..he goes right next to them on the floor. We've tried moving them over, doesn't work. He's very agressive with our kids, especially our little one...she has scratches on her from him...HOWEVER, even though we tell her not to, she practically SITS on him, which is where the scratches came from.

My husband was in a bad mood yesterday and noticed that the puppy had pooed on the stairs. He got mad, said that was the last straw, blamed it all on me and wrote his friend (who we got the puppy from) and asked him if he'd take him back. He agreed and will be coming to get him soon.

I HATE this. I've gotten really attached to this puppy. I've been working with him really hard to get trained, but it's hard when everyone uses my method as a form of playing with him. DH won't budge on this at all.

So, I told him that it would be over my dead body if we EVER got another dog. A cat, sure, I can deal with that, but NEVER another dog. This is the 3rd dog we've had. The first one, he got rid of because he would poo in the house, right after we'd come in from walking him. The second one, he got rid of because of the same thing. So, no more dogs for this family, which sucks, 'cause we are both dog people more than cat people.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Corkie-
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM
It takes awhile to train a puppy. Have you tired getting a older dog that's already trained?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:25 AM

WOW Im sorry Tell your DH NO you will be keeping the dog and do a tether system till he is trained

ff-princess
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:25 AM

if you're disposing of them that easily, then perhaps it's for the best.  dogs take a lot of time and care to make them behave and become part of the family.  if you can't/won't invest that, then do the dogs a favor and let someone else adopt them.

sam12796
by Sandy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Sorry you are loosing your pet. However here is some advice just in case you try again. Do not use pee pads. They send the wrong message that it is OK to eliminate in the house. You need to take a puppy out every hour the first month it is born, and second as well and then 3rd month should be able to hold it about 3 hours at night and for each month add an hour. A puppy will need to go out after it sleeps eats and plays. Puppies are a lot of work and crates help. Also research the breed some are harder to train than others. Seems like your husband is a little quick to get rid of an animal in my opinion of course. Some take weeks to train some take months.

One other thing is if you clean the mess you need to use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell, Dogs smell really well and they will continue to go in the same spot unless cleaned properly.

I have had dogs all my life and have worked really hard with some of them and in the end the rewards are priceless.

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM

"Over My Head Body..."

Are you a cephalopod?

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Victoria Stilwell’s Tips for Potty Training Your Puppy Dog:

Line your entire puppy-proof room with Wee Wee Pads, which have a special scent to them so that your puppy will know that it should pee on it.  Every day, take away one of the Wee Wee Pads to start teaching your puppy to only go on the section of your room with Wee Wee Pads.  Eventually, you will get down to just one Wee Wee Pad and then you can take it outside to your yard to start teaching your dog to go to the bathroom outside only. It should take you 2-3 months to train your dog to to go the bathroom outside, and once your puppy has not had an accident for six weeks, Victoria Stilwell says you should be good to go!

Tea4Tas
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Good call. Pets aren't disposible, and taking a puppy and letting it become a dog and then getting rid of it is a great way to have it killed in a shelter.

There are ways to housebreak a dog, but pads aren't a prefered method. Crating your dog, and feeding on a schedule are the methods that actually work.

toopicky429
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Puppy pads are a joke. If you haven't already, you should invest in a puppy crate. I have housebroken several dogs, and in my opinion it's the only way that works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hailey3
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM
I'm so sorry. I hate hearing this. Its so sad. Puppies r puppies and the scratches u described don't sound aggressive just puppy nature. Ur best bet for a starter pet would have been an older dog that u already know is good with kids. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmyangel22
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:33 AM
i agree with sam....and other pp. i would tell him, no the kids and i have become attached you will not take our dog. A month is not nearly long enough to train a puppy, esp depending on the breed. and puppies arent aggressive they play, they play by biting and rough housing, that is what a puppy does. you teach it that it is not okay to do that, the puppy can differentiate between a grown adult with whom it is okay to play rougher with. I have a 10 week old mastiff, he already weighs almost 40 lbs and I also have a 14 month old. the puppy still nips a little. last night the baby was throwing a fit about something or another sitting on the floor. the dog was nipping at his neck trying to play i walked over told him "no" in a stern voice and took my index and middle finger and poked him in the side of the neck (not hard but enough so he knows). he walked away and sat there looking at the baby. a moment or two later the baby was still crying so the puppy walks over really slow and then licks him once on the head and runs off. you just have to teach them. they are like children. and i also agree with about the puppy pads, your dog should not think it is okay ever to go in the house.

do you have a crate? If not i suggest getting one. its very helpful in training a dog. what kind of dog btw
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)