Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO FUNDING FOR PRESCHOOL???

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM
  • 39 Replies

My daughter is 3 (she'll be 4 at the beginning of Nov.) and is about to start preschool. It's free preschool but not HeadStart. If you don't know what that is, Head Start is more for low income, her preschool is called Great Start which is for people who make too much to qualify for HeadStart, but don't make so much that they have to pay tuition. She's SUPER excited to start school. She's supposed to start Monday. We've already had the orientation, at which time we set up our home visit. Our district does not participate in school of choice (coming to the school from out of the district) so they require a home visit to make sure you live in the district. The home visit was supposed to be today. 

When we got the papers for school a few weeks ago, they said there was no longer any funding for busing for preschool, so parents would be responsible for driving their kid to school each day. She really wanted to ride the bus, but ok no big deal. Then at orientation they said that they wouldn't be serving meals at school, only a snack. I was kind of surprised at that. I mean, it's only a 1/2 day but she has to be to school at 12:20, which means we have to leave at noon so she'd have to eat lunch at 11:30. I purposely put her in afternoon class because she doesn't even wake up until around 9 most days. 

Yesterday her teacher called. She has to cancel ALL home visits. School will not be starting on Monday. She said they HOPE to have school starting at the end of the month but it could be October now, all because of funding. 

It really makes me sad that there is not enough money for school. I shouldn't have to try and figure out how to tell my daughter that she won't be starting school in a few days like she thought. She was already sad that she wouldn't be meeting her teacher today.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MisfitInTN
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Well look into private preschool if you really want her to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Put her in a paid preschool. This country is going broke, and things like this will continue to happen.

You can't pay bills with promises, and services will be cut across the board.

Angel food ministries just closed up shop!  I see more things like this happening.

1979mommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Paid preschool isn't really an option right now unfortunately. A year ago it would have been but not this year.  The point of my post is more about the fact that the schools are going broke than her not going to preschool. She already knows what they're going to teach her in preschool, hell, she knows most of what they're going to teach her in kindergarten. The social interaction and the experience is more what I was enrolling her for. It just saddens me that things are getting so bad that they can't afford to open preschool.

1979mommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:49 AM

BUMP!

mommymelissa76
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Try putting her in a parochial preschool. They have tuition, but a lot of times whatever church they are associated with have tuition help and grants and things like that. Thats what my kids did and we dont go to church or anything like that, you dont have to. Most of the time you just have to "volunteer" for bingo and things like that. If you are not completely opposed to church, its worth looking into.

bluesky51201
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I agree.  Preschool is not required and certainly not the only way for your child to interact with others.  I'd rather see the preschool programs cut than more taken from the actual schools.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Put her in a paid preschool. This country is going broke, and things like this will continue to happen.

You can't pay bills with promises, and services will be cut across the board.

Angel food ministries just closed up shop!  I see more things like this happening.

matofour
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:57 AM
I would rather they cut preschool, than something from the grade school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3gr8tKids
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:58 AM

I think days of free are rapidly coming to an end.

The democrats will fund ANYTHING and everything even though there is no money.

The republicans HATE any program that subsidizes low income families. And there really is no money for these programs anymore.

southernswag
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM

I'm sorry about that but honestly, I'd prefer the funding to be spent elsewhere in the school district as opposed to a volunteer program.

If I were you I'd get some preschool material books, buy her a crayon box with pencils and crayons, plan some at home projects and set up shop at home for two hours a day doing "school" work.

arkansasmama08
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM
I agree. And it is sad :( I'm sorry your little girl has to deal with the bad decisions our country's leaders are making

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

I think days of free are rapidly coming to an end.

The democrats will fund ANYTHING and everything even though there is no money.

The republicans HATE any program that subsidizes low income families. And there really is no money for these programs anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)