Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare pharmacy copayment change effective October 1, 2011

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM
  • 5 Replies

FALLS CHURCH, Va. – Copayments for some medications provided through TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery are being reduced to zero. As of Oct. 1, 2011, Home Delivery beneficiaries may fill generic prescriptions at no cost to themselves.

Generic formulary drugs purchased through Home Delivery currently cost $3 for a 90-day supply, but as of Oct. 1 the copayment drops to zero.

“These new copays make using TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery more affordable than ever,” said Rear Adm. Christine Hunter, TRICARE Management Activity deputy director. “Home Delivery offers a great value for patients taking maintenance medications for chronic conditions.” 

The following changes to the TRICARE pharmacy copayments are scheduled to go into effect Oct. 1:

• Generic formulary drugs purchased at retail pharmacies will go from $3 to $5. 
• Brand name formulary drugs from retail pharmacies will go from $9 to $12. 
• Non-formulary medications will go from $22 to $25 in both retail and Home Delivery.

Brand name formulary drugs purchased through Home Delivery will have the same $9 copayment. Copayments for prescriptions filled through Home Delivery cover a 90-day supply, but only a 30-day supply when purchased at a retail pharmacy.

“This is the first change to TRICARE pharmacy copays since 2002,” Hunter said.  “Our goal is to keep costs as low as possible for our beneficiaries and DoD.”

Military, their families and retirees are increasingly using Home Delivery to get their maintenance medications conveniently delivered through U.S. mail – saving TRICARE about $30 million in 2010. Use of Home Delivery has grown in 2011 by nearly 10 percent over 2010. More than 1 million prescriptions per month are filled through the service.

For more information about TRICARE pharmacy, the new copayment rates and Home Delivery, visit
www.tricare.mil/pharmacy.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mackQuin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM

You will not be able to fill prescriptions at Walgreens effective jan 1 2012.

generic drugs filled retail will go from 3.00 to 5.00

name brand drugs will go from 9.00 to 12.00

and non formularly will go from 22.00 to 25.00

They are wanting people to use their mail order pharmacy or base pharmacies. Base pharmacies will still be free for all medications. generic will now be free at the mail order pharmacy and name brand and non forumulary at the mail order pharmacy will stay the same at 9.00/22.00.

orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Yeah, my dad told me about this.  He's not happy.  He uses Walgreens because it's closer than the VA to get his meds.  My mom as well.  Now they will have to check at CVS to see if they take TriCare, and if not, then it's back to Walmart.  The Walmart pharmacy here is horrible.  It takes them all day to fill one prescription.  They can get it at 8 am and it will take them until 5 to get it filled.  Ridiculous if you ask me.  The VA is about 40 miles from here.  He already goes there often for appointments.  He does get some things filled there, but they are worse than Walmart pharmacy with taking so long to fill something.  It usually takes the VA about 2 days to get something filled.  

mackQuin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Quoting orcadarwin:

Yeah, my dad told me about this.  He's not happy.  He uses Walgreens because it's closer than the VA to get his meds.  My mom as well.  Now they will have to check at CVS to see if they take TriCare, and if not, then it's back to Walmart.  The Walmart pharmacy here is horrible.  It takes them all day to fill one prescription.  They can get it at 8 am and it will take them until 5 to get it filled.  Ridiculous if you ask me.  The VA is about 40 miles from here.  He already goes there often for appointments.  He does get some things filled there, but they are worse than Walmart pharmacy with taking so long to fill something.  It usually takes the VA about 2 days to get something filled.  

i am pretty sure CVS fills them. I don't mind the home delivery pharmacy, we use them and have used them for over a year with my son's asthma and allergy medications. the only thing that annoys me about them is when they dont' have something it can take months to get it in. They ran out of one of my son's medications in June and the website when i log in is still showing it being backordered. I called and if its not in by the time he has as two week supply left i will have to get another written prescription and fill it locally. Its not able to filled on base and its not available in generic. lol.

but still the prices are better than what most pay i guess. can't complain too much.

Tea4Tas
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Quoting orcadarwin:

Why not use the mail order? It's what they are pushing for.

In the real world, non-vets and people who use private insurance are NOT given the option to NOT use mail order for maintenance meds. My Mom pays $123 a month for her insurance to cover dental and medication (she has medicare) and HAS to use mail order for ANY NON-URGENT PRESCRIPTION.

It's easy enough-they will auto ship based on your dosage to get it there in plenty of time.

orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

He does use the mail order for what he can.  He can't get mail order for all his meds, though.  There are some that he has to go to the pharmacy and get filled.  

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

Why not use the mail order? It's what they are pushing for.

In the real world, non-vets and people who use private insurance are NOT given the option to NOT use mail order for maintenance meds. My Mom pays $123 a month for her insurance to cover dental and medication (she has medicare) and HAS to use mail order for ANY NON-URGENT PRESCRIPTION.

It's easy enough-they will auto ship based on your dosage to get it there in plenty of time.

A mother's child is every breath she takes. Walking hand in hand, every step she takes.

Life is hard.  Kids make the ride more fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)