• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 year old wearing makeup, tacky or normal

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM
  • 385 Replies

what is your take on 11 year old wearing makeup. My daughter is 11 will be 12 in a month. she is in middle school 6thgrade. she came home yesterday with mascara  and blush on. i told to wash it off and i don't want to see her with it on again. she said her friend put it on her. she said that all the girls in 6th grade were makeup. She said her friends has alot of makeup, she has base, blush, eye shadow ( she said the eye shadow is ugly like a yellow and gold color), mascara, and RED LIP SITCK. Who in the hell lets a 11 year old were red lip stick. she said her friend wear it to cover up her acne. i told my daughter that is probably why she has acne  because she wear makeup.

anyways i told my daughter that she better not get any idea cause  she isn't wearing any makeup, that i think 11 is to young. i didn't start wearing makeup until i was like 14. so am i weird  or something cause i think it is really tacky and trashy to let an 11 year old wear makeup. it is normal for kids that young to wear it today.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:01 AM

i might let her wear lip gloss and some light eyeshadow but not a ton of makeup.

.Pagan.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM

im 25 and chicks were wearing makeup in middle school when i was there. if i had a girl i wouldn't be opposed to her starting to wear it then..not full blown but in steps just likemy mom did me. id rather teach her how to than her get into her friends and be walking around school with blue eyeshadow too much blush and red lipstick...i dunno why moms insist on giving their daughters those horrible combos to start with but it really was the look i saw most in middle school lol

chiquis
by Diamond Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM
My 10 year old only uses lipgloss. But I wouldn't say using make up is trashy. Not when talking about an 11 yr old. I mean some people probably think that of a 14 yr old wearing it too. Would you think your child is trashy if she wears it then. Probably not.

Not sure when I'd let mine. I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momwith2monkeys
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM

that is way i am i have let my daughter lip gloss on picture day but i have never let her wear all the other stuff. and she don't have her own makeup like these other kids have either.

Quoting Teeshann:

i might let her wear lip gloss and some light eyeshadow but not a ton of makeup.

Nyx7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Mine's only 2 so I reserve the right to change my opinion when she's older but I think 11 is way too young for that much makeup. Some lip gloss on a special occassion, no problem but makeup everyday for school? Seems a little young to me (I mean the other girl, not your dd). & no bright red lipstick is not appropriate IMO.

Lydlou02
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I think 11 is a good time to start teaching a skincare regimen that includes foundation and powder (cover-up too if needed) and I would allow body glitter at any age, but I think blush, mascara, eyeliner, lipstick and eye shadow can wait until jr high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missretro13
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I don't have daughters, but if I did, my daughter would be allowed to wear makeup when they entered jr. high. HOWEVER, she would get professional lessons so she would look nice, not tacky.

crysnjosh
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

well, i started wearing makeup at 12. I only wore light mascara, eyeshadow, and lipgloss. still to this day I still only where that much with eyeliner added. Lil sis started at 12 also. None of my moms daughters ever wore any heavy makeup

spastic_poodle
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM
normal, but that much is still tacky
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-Rentsmommy06
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I would maybe allow mascara and some gloss. But no way on red lipstick or crazy colored eye shadow. I think parents are allowing their kids to grow up too quickly these days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)