Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Continue A Friendship With Someone Like This?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM
  • 31 Replies
Let's say you're at dinner, with six friends, all of whom you've known since elementary school. A subject comes up that you know - WELL. In fact, that subject is your career. You went to school to learn about it, and you've had time to learn it in and out.

One of your friends, however, attempts to discredit you, say you're wrong, and ultimately tries to humiliate you in front of an audience.

What would you think of this friend (especially if this is something they have a habit of doing)? Would you continue the friendship?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Most likely NOT I would call it self destrutive to hang around with them BTW my sisters do that crap to me all the time We rarely talk now

r_luvli
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Nope, because I'm too old to play a game of "one upmanship" with anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisboog
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Nope. 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I would think she has issues. Like jealousy maybe. I would drop her.

SingleMomzRock
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM
That's kind of what the situation was, but they didn't one-up me - they just kept saying I was wrong. Ugh.

Quoting r_luvli:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuickMomma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Quoting r_luvli:

DazedbySiggies

nope shouldnt stay friends with them.  i just had to remove a good friend, well i thought a good friend from my life for the "jabs" she was always making at me.  Life's too short to have to deal with girls being dumb.  Remove her from your friends list. :)  LOL

Nyx7

I'd have replied with "Your right, you obviously know everything about everything & I'm so glad I'm not burdened with always being right! Oh & your degree is in??????"

MiCHELLEx
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Friends don't discredit other friends!
alwayskk
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I would talk to them about it privately first.

If they did not apologize and saw nothing wrong with their behavior, then I probably wouldn't remain friends with them.

I have a friend who does stuff similar to this. She might not necessarily be speaking on something I'm an expert in, but she has tried to make me look dumb before. Her husband finally called her out on it and she stopped.

Our IQ's are two points away from each other. Our degrees are in different areas, but she considers me her 'smart friend', and the one person that she can talk to about 'smart things', then she wants to go trying to make me look dumb? Yeah, if she hadn't cut that out, I wouldn't be friends with her today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)