Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need to Re-home my Pup...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM
  • 76 Replies

I am having to go back to work full time. I start on Monday. Our dog is somewhat house trained but cannot be left alone in the house for extended periods of time. Therefore, he will be crated for up to 10 hours a day. Our back yard is fenced, however, (and we didn't realize this until after we moved in) he has to be on a chain when outside because he is small enough to fit through the slats and there are some spaces whe can fit under the fence. We are renting and in no way can we modify this.

Ideas? Suggestions? I don't want to post on Craigslist... need to make sure he gets a good home...

To Succeed In Life, You Need Two Things: Ignorance and Confidence.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Doggie daycare
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nyx7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Even renting you should be able to put up some chicken wire without destroying the fence. If you dig down a little so the wire is buried in the dirt & use fence posts you can create a fence inside the wood fence that's easily taken down & doesn't leave any permanent marks.

Nyx7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Or use the invisible fence, the electric one.

Tea4Tas
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I would go with an invisible fence. Or hire a dog walker.

ME_ME_ME
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Quoting Nyx7:

And on the days I cannot leave him out due to weather? Too hot, too cold, raining... he's a little thing.

ME_ME_ME
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I *have* to go back to work. This is not by choice. I cannot afford a dog walker. Invisible fence.. sure. But what about the days I cannot leave him outside all day (weather)?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

YesNoMaybe
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM

We have a dog door in our cabana bathroom.  She has the fenced yard when she wants to go out but she has ac/heat whenever she wants in!  I love having a dog door.

Quoting ME_ME_ME:

Quoting Nyx7:

And on the days I cannot leave him out due to weather? Too hot, too cold, raining... he's a little thing.

momma2b2008
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM
Take responsiblity for your dog and do what you need to do to keep him safe at home! I hate it when people get dogs and then realize how much work they are they just give up and send them away!! I'm sure there are ways that you can fix the problem without breaking your contract! Find away to deal with the puppy without sending him away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Quoting ME_ME_ME:

I *have* to go back to work. This is not by choice. I cannot afford a dog walker. Invisible fence.. sure. But what about the days I cannot leave him outside all day (weather)?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Dog house.  It seems you want to get rid of him though don't you? Because when good suggestions are made, and you find reasons for them to not work...well...

Nyx7
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Then kennel him. Being kenneled every once in a while for 10 hours isn't gonna kill the dog. Make sure it has plenty to play with, congs w/ treats are great for this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)