Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Concerned.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
  • 13 Replies

Heres the short story to the long one.

Basically I have this friend. Her son will be 2 next month. She thinks he has a problem. He throws trantrums. Wild/violent ones. I have given her alot of suggestions on what to do to prevent some. Like change of scenery, giving him something else to play with, removing him from the room. All which she says doesn't work.  The technique she uses right now, is to strap him into his carseat and put him in a different room, or in front of the tv. 

Well she has decided to get him evalutated because she is dead set something is off with him. So she also did some online research and found a technique others have sworn by. 

"splashing cold water onto the childs face when the trantrum starts" 

I am concerned about this child and the mother. I have only known her for a few weeks. We do alot of playdates together. So I am not really sure she is serious about this. Her main concern is for him to stop these violent trantrums because she doesn't want to lose her babysitting kids.

Please, I could use any advice to pass on to her. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
areid1023
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM

i would be concerned, as well. BUMP!

Berkley
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Has she tried asking her pediatrician for advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mazzyk
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Berkley:

Has she tried asking her pediatrician for advice?

Not that I am aware of. Of last nite, she just told me she called to get him tested. 

DBKels
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM
I would ask the dr, hwever, splashing a little cold water doesn't sound abusive. If it was hot, that's another story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mazzyk
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Shes not talking like a little splash of water. btw. Shes talking about carrying a glass of water around with her, and dousing him with it whenever he starts. 

mazzyk
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM

BUMP!

Samanthamommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

How violent are they? Kicking, hitting, etc? If so, I would be concerned as well.

I've had a friend splash a glass of water on their childs head. I don't do it personally, but their child is a very well behaved 4 year old, and hasn't needed the "splash" for a couple years. I'm not saying I agree, or disagree with it (like I said, I don't do it)... But it worked for her.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM
the water techinique does work for some kids. And it's used for voilent tantrums, usually to prevent injury. if she is going to do it, i would recommend using a spray botle first, and see how that works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mazzyk
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Well. Honestly. I have witnessed his trantrums a few times now. I have a almost 3yr old. And these 'fits' seem very normal to me. He will be fine all day then go into a kicking fit, whining fit, not wanting to do anything basic meltdown. She just started babysitting a few weeks ago, not sure if that has anything to do with it, could ossibly be. But he isnt even 2 yet.  To me its normal. But to her, she honestly feels something is wrong with him. 

We were there once. And he went into one of these meltdowns. She got out the carseat and strapped him in it and put him in front of the tv. Myself, I wouldnt do that, I would get up and leave the room and see what was going on...not sure if he is overwhelmed or what. 

I offered to take him for a day. Seems she is way stressed out and maybe he needs a break from her... She refused tho. I'm just out of options and she comes to me for advice or venting, because she thinks I'll understand, but its getting to a point where I am concerned for this kid. 

deenakate
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Once the child gets evaluated and if they find any thing wrong, then they can help her to find a solution.

I would also stay out of the issue if your "new" friends.

It would be my main concern too for him to stop the tantrums.. it cant be any fun...

As far as the water in the face.. eh..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)