• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH wants to join..

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
  • 7 Replies

DH wants to join the National Guard. He has always wanted to be in the military, but the day he went to sign on the dotted line, he got the call from an employer where is still working. He met me 6 months later. 2 kids and almost 6 years together and NOW he wants to start talking about joining again.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I see so much good in the decision and of course I see the "what about me" in the decision.

So tell me how I should best approach this. I want him to achieve ALL of his dreams and this is the only one he still has that he hasn't completed. He would be amazing in any field but this is the one he wants the most. He chose the National Guard because he would still be able to be home most of the time unless he's called to go help out.

What do you ladies think? Any words of wisdom?

We have 2 children 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
spastic_poodle
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM
I think it's a great thing for him to do. the benefits are wonderful, and the time away is rarely unbearable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM
I think its a great idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Good Luck! I think its a good idea too!

Benjamins-mama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I think that it is a great thing to do.  I would support him on it.   My husband is in the Army and is currently deployed. my kids are about the same age as your kids.   Skype is a great thing for something like deployments. 

mamatocaleb
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM

thanks! I know he wants to do it, but obviously I am a nervous wreck about it, but hey it will be nice to watch him complete another dream!

Charweba
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

Good Luck! I think its a good idea too!

ashbmac
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I would say it is a great idea but be aware that the national guard goes oversees a lot more frequently then people assume. He may want to look into being a reservist in one of the other branches. My dh is a navy recruiter so I know a little bit about these things. It is the same commitment one weekend a month two weeks a year and you still get pretty good benefits. Good luck with making this decision I'm sure it will be difficult :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)