Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marrying Your Cousin?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you feel it is WRONG for people to be allowed to marry if they are blood cousins?

Options:

Yes

No

Other (because there always is an other)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 125

View Results

Do you think its wrong to allow someone to marry their blood cousin?  Even if they are completely in love and faithful to each other?  Even first cousins?  Why or Why Not? 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cherish77
by Cherish on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I think 1st cousins would be to close to marry, but maybe 4th cousins would maybe be okay.

worwalkerlds
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Is it because you feel it is morally wrong or that you just find it disgusting?

Quoting Cherish77:

I think 1st cousins would be to close to marry, but maybe 4th cousins would maybe be okay.

.Pagan.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

yes but that is a purely medical issue with me. if your family has a health issue that tends to run in the bloodlines you will up the chance for the child to have that issue and many other problems that comes from genetics being too close. now if they both agreed to be sterilised then i wouldn't care. my only concern is the children involved

worwalkerlds
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Im pretty sure that the differentiation of the alleles of said cousins would not lead to genetically handicapped children.  Mainly because they do not have the same parents.  I would assume these problems mostly occur with siblings or many generations of interbreeding. I understand your concern, but as long as the children do not start interbreeding and so on, the first progeny of the original cousins would not necessarily cause harm to their children.  I have not studied deeply into this problem concerning genetics, but from what I have learned I can only make these assumptions.

Quoting .Pagan.:

yes but that is a purely medical issue with me. if your family has a health issue that tends to run in the bloodlines you will up the chance for the child to have that issue and many other problems that comes from genetics being too close. now if they both agreed to be sterilised then i wouldn't care. my only concern is the children involved

AHmom103
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM

If it's far enough out, I think it's okay...like (just an example, not something I'm hoping for) DH's 2nd cousin has a little boy 6 months older than Ashley. If they fell in love, I don't think I'd have a big problem with it, especially because this kids dad is DH's best friend, his wife is a very good friend of mine...not like we're related. But first cousins? No way!

worwalkerlds
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I was just going through the marriage requirements for my state and found out it is legal to marry your cousin but same sex marriage is not.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

mommy259
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I just think it is plain nasty to marry blood relatives and then to have children that makes it even nastier!

Faeta
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

1st cousins??  no way. I'm all for people loving each other is better than them killing each other... and all in support for same sex, interracial, etc.   but as far as I know children born in the same family can easily pass on genetic deformities and diseases.

its not just that diseases are created when new blood isn't added in a few generations. But if both parties carry a gene for something...  by having a kid together they have a greater chance for that gene to be apparent than had they mated with someone else outside of the family.

mes_deux_amours
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I find it totally appalling to be involved with family.

But, I do not believe in telling consenting adults who they can and cannot be with.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I don't care what people do as long as they aren't harming others. Due to the risk of genetic deformities close relations (1st cousins or closer) should not be allowed to procreate, but beyond that I don't care if siblings want to marry. Not my concern.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)