Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got an e-mail from the senator

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM
  • 2 Replies

September 14, 2011

Dear Kalissa:

Thank you for contacting me. I appreciate hearing your thoughts about the financial issues confronting our nation and the difficult budget decisions we must make.

Like you, I believe that in order for our economy to recover, we also need to rebuild the middle class, its driving engine. Some budget proposals before this Congress have suggested that that's just not possible. They have succumbed to the pessimistic premise that our nation can't afford to maintain a middle class or provide the needed resources to invest in education, infrastructure, and research-elements that are imperative to creating jobs and retaining our country's edge in an increasingly competitive global economy. They presume that we are simply too broke.

While I believe that we must reduce our deficit, I also support crafting a budget that creates a better future by creating jobs, keeping our promises to seniors, educating our children, and asking millionaires and billionaires to pay their fair share. These types of investments are essential to rebuilding our middle class. In fact, by making these investments, we can reduce our long-term deficit by increasing the number of taxpayers, reducing the number of individuals getting assistance from the government to help cope with hard times, and creating sustainable economic growth. We need to make these smarter policy choices to restore the fundamental promise of the American Dream.

Thank you again for contacting me. I assure you that I will continue to be a strong advocate for middle class Iowans and Americans and fight for the policies that preserve and strengthen the promise of the American Dream. 

Sincerely,

Tom Harkin
United States Senator

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
hautemama83
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Typical generic response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lakissakay
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, my only reaction was Hmmmm...

Quoting hautemama83:

Typical generic response.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)