Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Opposite shifts??

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM
  • 19 Replies

So with all the daycare/get a job posts I see a few responses with dh/so and I  work opposites so we don't need daycare so I need to know how do you all manage this?   Right now my family could really use another income and I am trying to apply for some jobs but am really only available on the weekends.  Unless I put my two kids in daycare and ds in after school care and yup gonna say it there is no way it would be worth it to do this financially.  I would honestly rather a full time job or in the very least part time with more hours than only the weekends but how do you possibly make the opposite shifts thing work what are your and dh/so hours like?  Do you drive eachother to and from work bringing the kids with you?  When are you able to sleep and what ages are your kids?   Does one of you have a pretty normal 9-5 job?  I am really looking for any tips and info on how to make this work because right now when I look at the hours my dh works it seems like it still wouldn't work but I would really like to figure out a way to make it work. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

My df works 8-430pm. I work 6-10pm and open availability on weekends. I dont work everyday, but the money I bring in helps. Weve done this since my daughter was born..shes 5 now. We both have cars, but thats never been a problem. He literally works 5 min away, and mine is less then 10 min so travel time isnt a problem. Were both in bed by 11 and get up around 7.

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

no idea, i have talked about taking an overnight job but dh said no way in hell. lol.

toopicky429
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM

It didn't work for us. I worked 7pm-7:30am for eight years. My record is 40 hours without sleep. My husband has to leave before 7am, and doesn't always get home before I had to leave. Luckily we do ok with me being home because it works so much better. When we paid for child care almost all my income went to paying for it, and I used individuals who had an in-home daycare, not a facility. Good luck!

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM

DH and I used to work opposite shifts.  We still sort of do.

WHen ds was little he worked 6pm to 6am and I worked 8-5ish. 

After a year or so of that, I quit and stayed home.

Now he works Wed-Sat 6am-6pm and I work M-Tu 8-430.  The one day the whole entire family is together is Sundays. 

It's tough though because his schedule switches in Dec to Sun-Wed 6-6pm and I switch to Thu-Fri dayshift. One day together is Saturday.

We've had a couple times when we had to impress my stepson or stepdaughter into service for a few hours last fall.

DenaMarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM
My hubs works 8 to 5, I work pt as a receptionist at car dealership a few nights a week from 4 to 8. When I work he goes in early and leaves at 3.I also work Saturdays (he has weekends off).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piscean.red
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Well,  in 2010 I took on a graveyard position.  I worked 11pm to 6am every morning,  and my SO worked fulltime dayshift but he didn't have a set schedule.  Sometimes he would open,  sometimes mid shift,  sometimes closing shift.  My DD was 2 at the time so she still took a nap during the day.  She got on the schedule where she would stay up until I went to work so visit me,  and she would sleep in until 10 or 11am.  So,  I would get home from work at 6 or 7 and sleep until 10.  Then when she took her nap at 4 I would go back to sleep for an hour.  That was all the sleep I got.  It was a very hard schedule.  My SO wasn't very good at picking up the slack and helping around the house so after that year I quit to be a SAHM again.

FooLynRoo
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM

My husband worked 830am till 5 pm I worked 11 pm until 7 am.

piscean.red
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Also,  you can always try going to care.com and posting an add.  You might find a sitter who will work with you.  Maybe you can sit for them and they can sit for you type of thing. 

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM

BUMP!

Mommys.TimeOut
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM

There is no way it would have worked for us, 'cause my husband works 10-7, but isn't guarunteed home by 7:15ish, and I couldn't work 3rd because then I'd never sleep.

Luckily, there is child care assistance here, and, with us only having one vehicle, I lucked out and was able to find a job within my husband's hours, so I'm able to work full time and have my kids in daycare/after school care and it not take my whole paycheck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)