Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Netbook or Tablet?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Netbook or Tablet for a 5 year old?

Options:

Tablet

Netbook

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2

View Results

My son is turning 5 this weekend. He really wants a computer for his present. I am up in the air if I want to get him a netbook or a tablet. 

Heres the what I am thinking about each...

Netbook:

Small, easy to take along with us, can learn to type and use a mouse (will buy a usb mouse)

Tablet:

Small, easy to take along with us, use learning apps. 

My father told me that having a keyword and mouse is not a big deal since sooner or later they will be out of the picture. I am not sure at all! The school that he will be attending next year offers iPads to all the kids part of tuition. SO I kind of figure this will be a nice and cheaper way to start him off. 

I need help and would love your guys advice! Thanks in advance!!!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tdoubleday04
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM

wow, well I have a lap top and a tablet, I perfer to use the tablet when I can because its lighter, easier to carry around...I also get the books on their for the kids and we read them together and you can touch the screen to turn the pages.  but at 5 i have no suggestions as I got my 4 and a half year old for xmas a Vtech tablet type thing...

matofour
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

remember with a tablet you can not run flash.  We have an ipad, and my kids love it.

But, they each have a small laptop as well, and they love to play games on the laptop. Most websites that have games run with flash.

My kids really do enjoy the games on the ipad, but, if I had to pick one, I would rather have the computers for them.  Plus, lots of their school websites we need the laptop. 

Lisse_2006
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM

bump

Lisse_2006
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I was thinking about the flash also. I was thinking about getting a Android 7" for him to start out on. They have a lot of apps for education. But, I still up in the air if a small computer will be better.

Quoting matofour:

remember with a tablet you can not run flash.  We have an ipad, and my kids love it.

But, they each have a small laptop as well, and they love to play games on the laptop. Most websites that have games run with flash.

My kids really do enjoy the games on the ipad, but, if I had to pick one, I would rather have the computers for them.  Plus, lots of their school websites we need the laptop. 

NikLvsNick
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Well, i have 2 laptops, a netbook and a tablet. My kids personally love the tablet. (they are 6 and 7 years old). It's easier for them to use since it's touch screen and they love the apps on there.

nena_a
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM

i can guarantee you that a netbook is a waste of money. do NOT get him a netbook.

nena_a
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

the reason the ipads dont support flash is because flash is becoming obsolete. its old technology. Apple is amazingly accurate when it comes to forecasting trends. kind of like floppy disks.

Quoting Lisse_2006:

I was thinking about the flash also. I was thinking about getting a Android 7" for him to start out on. They have a lot of apps for education. But, I still up in the air if a small computer will be better.

Quoting matofour:

Nena

Lisse_2006
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Thank you!

matofour
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM

While thats great, most of the games my kids want to play on the computer, still support flash.  Which is why having both is nice.

I love the learning apps on our ipad, mine are doing math, and spelling on it everyday.

BUT, they don't always want to do learning stuff, they want to play games, and thats what they use their computers for usually. 

Quoting nena_a:

the reason the ipads dont support flash is because flash is becoming obsolete. its old technology. Apple is amazingly accurate when it comes to forecasting trends. kind of like floppy disks.

Quoting Lisse_2006:

Quoting matofour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)