Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so confused! my 5 year old just tested positive for a peanut allergy. wtf

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM
  • 5 Replies

We went in for his yearly allergy rescreen. She wasn't going to recheck but his asthma and other symptoms have been getting worse over the last couple of months. Last year he was allergic to everything (except smoke) he had no food allergies.

This year she tested him and everything tested WORSE. we have been getting allergy shots. WTF.

She also tested him for milk..negative.

...........................egg..negative

..........................stawberry...negative.

.........................tree nuts/peanuts...positive. It came back at a 2.  which she said is minor but could be contributing to the increase in the symptoms he has been having.

How is it possible for him to develop those allergies? it makes no sense?!?

we don't have to keep him away from peanuts..but she said he shouldn't ingest peanut products. he already had a epipen due to everything else going on with him. She said she will recheck him in 9 months and hopefully the allergy doesn't get worse. She said its common for people to develop allergies at any age but i honest to God have never heard of a person just getting a peanut allergy..a allergy that was not there 11 months before.

So frustrating! if that is what is causing the increase in his symptoms than i guess its good to know but still frustrating we have been doing the allergy shots twice a week and they arent working..his allergies are getting freaking worse!

ugh.!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
imamombygrace
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM

My dd started out eating peanut butter fine and then one day she had almonds for the first time. Turns out she was VERY allergic to them. I had to rush her to the doctor b/c her eyes swole shut and she had hives all over. Then it turns out she can no longer have any nut product...even peanut butter. It' weird the way they develop an allergy later on.

Kami_Kaze
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM
a body changes..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Was it the skin test?  I just had a discussion with my kids' pediatrician about my son and his allergies.  We do see an allergist, but I wanted his pediatrician to know what all he tested positive for.  He told me that the skin test is really inconclusive because some people have very sensitive skin that will react when there isn't an actual allergy there.  He said that the blood tests are much better with diagnosing allergies.  Now, we are doing allergy shots, as well.  My son has very dry, sensitive skin and has severe eczema as a result of that and his allergies.  His skin is looking much better since we started the shots.  

mackQuin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Quoting orcadarwin:

Was it the skin test?  I just had a discussion with my kids' pediatrician about my son and his allergies.  We do see an allergist, but I wanted his pediatrician to know what all he tested positive for.  He told me that the skin test is really inconclusive because some people have very sensitive skin that will react when there isn't an actual allergy there.  He said that the blood tests are much better with diagnosing allergies.  Now, we are doing allergy shots, as well.  My son has very dry, sensitive skin and has severe eczema as a result of that and his allergies.  His skin is looking much better since we started the shots.  

it was both the skin (they did the scratch and the needle one) and she did a blood test for confirmation, which she will call with the results.

I mean  his asthma and other symptoms he has does seem to be worse but i just shrugged it off as the weather.  Last year when we tested him he had a lot of allergies but none to food..makes no sense to me!

orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I know what you mean.  My son is allergic to all kinds of grass and trees, even nut trees, but he didn't test positive for the nuts as a food allergy.  Makes no sense to me.  They may need to adjust the allergy shots for these new allergies.  

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting orcadarwin:

it was both the skin (they did the scratch and the needle one) and she did a blood test for confirmation, which she will call with the results.

I mean  his asthma and other symptoms he has does seem to be worse but i just shrugged it off as the weather.  Last year when we tested him he had a lot of allergies but none to food..makes no sense to me!

A mother's child is every breath she takes. Walking hand in hand, every step she takes.

Life is hard.  Kids make the ride more fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)