Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Son! I am going to SCREAM!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son is 14 years old and he has OCD about germs and hand washing.  I do laundry everyday . Today he had a school outfit,3 pairs of pajama pant 3 shirts and 2 pair of underwear. This is just between the hours of when he is off at school and going to bed.  I have tried having him wash his own clothes but he don't want to touch them because they are dirty.  He also goes thru a bottle of hand soap every two days.  He has sores on his hands.  He is on meds. We have tried several different books and counselling.  Is there anyone else with this problem?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
xtwistedxlovex
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I wash my hands somewhat excessively, but not to that extent. My OCD is not severe, so "mind over matter" has worked for me at times...I don't think that would probably work for him.

It won't fix the problem, but try a lotion/cream meant for eczema. It may help ease his poor skin, at least. A box of latex gloves may help him through washing his own clothes.

momatippie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Thank you.  I have never thought of gloves for him.

Samanthamommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Wow, I don't know. If counseling hasn't helped, you may want to try a different counselor with a different approach though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)