Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergist Referal

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

So my son is being referred to an allergist because of a possible milk allergy or he could be Lactose Intolerant.. I called the place that I am being referred to, Childrens Hospitaly Allergy, and they told me that they had not recieved the pwk yet from my doc office, and told me the next appt isnt until Dec anyway. I called my doc office and had them refax the info.

My question is: I have already cut milk out of his diet... That just seems like a REALLY long time for him not to get the nutrients he needs from milk or milk based items. I dont know if I can get him to eat vitamins or even if I can at 15 months. He was on Soy Formula.

Also, What exactly will occur at this appt? Does anyone know what all the allergist will do?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM

The allergist will talk with you about the allergy, and then probably do the skin test, or order a blood test, to test for allergies.  The skin test is just a scratch test on the back, but there are several of them at a time.  Then they go over the results with you and advice you on a course of action. 

orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Oh, also, I think you can give vitamins starting at a year.  

matofour
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM

honestly, I know you have been taught all your life that he needs milk

Thats wrong.  He doesn't need milk at this point.  He could be dairy free, and still be healthy.

There are MANY foods to get the vitamins that are in milk, and its will be healtier for him.

Do a little research about being dairy free, its really better for you.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

First I'd see if there is another allergist that he can see, one that has openings sooner than December.  Then, I'd do some research on other options for dairy... soy milk/cheese, almond milk, goat's milk, rice milk... there are a lot of options.

masastan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Just speak to your son's doctor about a nutritional supplement or a vitamin...they DO have something even a 15 month old could have, I just don't know what it would be. You could also just buy products that have added calcium in them as well.  Good luck!

baquick
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Unfortantly, my son is on Medicaid, so I have to go to whomever will take the referal. That specific office is the one that my pedi works with the most, and where almost all the referals go to. I already asked about that as soon as I heard the "wait" time. I also have an appt friday for his immuzations, so I will also ask then.

Thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)