Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids walking to the store alone

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM
  • 30 Replies

I work in a convenient store and I always see kids coming in by themselves or with friends into the store, some of them as young as 4. We have apartments behind the store and that is where the kids come from, and the neighborhood isn't all that great either. I had one NIGHT a little boy came in with his younger sister. I asked him how old he was and he said he was 6 and he said his sister was 4. How in the HELL is a parent going to let their 6 and 4 year old walk to the store alone AT NIGHT!! I can not believe some of the parents that allow this.

In your opinion how old would your kids have to be for you to allow them to walk to the convenient store alone or with friends?

My older 2 are 14 and 11 and I let them ride their bikes to the store, but they always have to go together.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shaken1976
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Oh hell no.  That wouldn't happen at that age.  My dd is 8 and it still won't happen.  Now once we are in the store I will let her go to one end of an aisle to get something while I am at the other end.  But she is within earshot and eyesight.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM
When I was 11 and my sister was 9, my dad let us walk to the convenient store by ourselves, it was about a mile away...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smenjivar
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM

HOw old are you now?

I am 32 and my parents let me and my siblings walk to the store alone at that age. Then again the world wasn't as crazy back then as it is now.

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

When I was 11 and my sister was 9, my dad let us walk to the convenient store by ourselves, it was about a mile away...

Kami_Kaze
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM
when i was a kid my mom let us when we were like 8... but nowadays... no way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM

My 14 yo and 10 year old can go to the store.  So I'd say 10+

malissaL
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I will let them all walk together as a group (the oldest is 13, the youngest is 7)

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

If I lived in my parents old house more then likely 6 years old. It was right across the street and its a town where we all know each other. Where I live now maybe 12 years old and that's pushing it. I live in apartment complex and its right off the main high way and people come up to the light not pay attention turning.

PotterMom218
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM
It depends on the area and my child. I would le my DS probaly go at 10 or 11 depending on his maturity (he is 2 1/2 now) I was 12 and my mom let me go with a friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM
I've noticed this sort of thing in "bad" areas. Which is part of the reason they're bad.

I wouldn't allow that myself at that age. Your store doesn't have a policy against unattended children?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMom9799
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Im 35 - i remember going to the store alone at like 9/10 with my younger sisters.

my older 2 are 14 & 12, so they can def walk to the store alone

Quoting smenjivar:

HOw old are you now?

I am 32 and my parents let me and my siblings walk to the store alone at that age. Then again the world wasn't as crazy back then as it is now.

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)