Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is simple and stupid but I am proud of myself/us

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM
  • 3 Replies

Until the beginning of this year we have really struggled with money, we were making enough in general but weren't good at saving and my husband was driving 130 miles a day (365 days a year so through snow, ice, whatever else) so it was really taking a toll on our car and we had nothing actually saved to fix it.  He still was part of that job but also has another job (he started in July).  So far (except for two weeks, one he didn't work at the new job and one we used it for spending money on vacation) we have put all of the money from the first job into savings as soon as it gets into the bank.  I have also figured out what bill will be paid with what check for the rest of the year (this is where we really struggled with the saving, all of our bills are due between the 16th and 25th of the month but instead of paying some early we would just leave it and then would end up spending on unecessary things, stupid I know).  With doing it this way even if my husband works the bare minimum hours and no overtime (right now he is doing 12 hour days) we can pay an extra $50+ on our car payment each month and twice what the electric/gas bill is so we will have a credit and our bills will be lower in the colder months!  I have also been transferring whatever is leftover from one check to savings as soon as the next check comes in (I leave it there just in case there is something that we need before the next check comes in).  Like I said this is stupid and simple but I am proud, by the time he has been at the new job long enough to get a home loan we will have a decent amount saved up for a downpayment, which will be very helpful!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Samanthamommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM

It's not simple or stupid, it's smart and you are doing great. Something a lot of people struggle with. Good job!

angellove29115
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM

be proud,  someone once told me debt it debt,  it doesnt matter the size. You can be a millionaire and still have debt.  You are doing great just hold your head up and be proud of what you are doing.  Its very hard to do and you are doing it.

ZoeCY
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Thanks ladies!!  I just wish we would have started doing this earlier, but oh well, you can't change the past and at least it never got to the point where it had an effect on our credit score or anything (we mostly borrowed from ILs to fix the car, they are now completely paid back.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)