• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you like to watch Spartacus? Andy Whitfield has passed away :(

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM
  • 2 Replies

Star of ‘Spartacus’ on Starz dies at 39 Andy Whitfield starred in Starz’s “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” in 2010.

Andy Whitfield, star of Starz’s gladiator series “Spartacus: Blood and Sand,” died Sunday, succumbing to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He was 39. The Welsh-born actor passed away in Australia surrounded by family, according to a statement issued by his wife, Vashti, and reported on Deadline.com.

“On a beautiful sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18-month battle with lymphoma cancer,” she said in a statement.

“He passed peacefully surrounded by love.

“Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point.

“He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was.”

Whitfield was a newcomer when he landed the starring role of “Spartacus.”

The show debuted in January 2010, and production was set to start on a second season when, during a routine checkup, the actor was diagnosed with Stage 1 non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

The condition was considered treatable, and production was halted while he underwent treatment.

As a result, his cancer went into remission but later returned, and Whitfield had to undertake more aggressive treatment.

His starring role was eventually recast with actor Liam McIntyre.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield,” Chris Albrecht, Starz president and CEO, said in a statement. “We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in ‘Spartacus’ and came to know that the man who played a champion onscreen was also a champion in his own life. Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. He will live on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans.”

Series creator Steven DeKnight said via Twitter: “No words to express the depth of such a loss. You will be deeply missed, my brother.”

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=275&articleid=20110914_275_D3_AndyWh876255

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
hippiemamaof2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I found out sunday. I'm so sad. He was so young :( Cancer sucks. 

the new season, Vengeance, is still happening but the main guy isn't as sexy as Andy. 

momof4bzN2gz
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM
My hubby is crushed :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)