Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age would you allow

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM
  • 33 Replies

Your oldest child to watch the younger children for a couple of hours while you and DH/SO went out to dinner in the evening? Would it make a difference if the younger two were already in bed for the night?

**EDIT**I ask because my oldest is 12 and then we have an 8 and 4 year old...DH and I never get to go out for dinner with out kids because we have no one to babysit for us...My oldest son had babysat for a little bit while we have walked up the road to a friends house while the younger two have been in bed....Even though I know i can trust my oldest son I am worried about leaving him to watch the younger two (the younger two would be in bed when we left) while me and DH went out to dinner.

**EDIT***Just to clear up a few things, we would only be about 15-20 minutes from the house, I would ask my son to babysit and offer to pay him for babysitting, This would not be every night or even every weekend maybe once every other month just so DH and I can have a nice dinner together and then we would come right home....I would never leave him to babysit all the time because DH went through that as a child because he was the oldest and we both feel it is not fair to do it all the time..

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto3As
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM

My DD is 13 and she watches her 3 yr old sister for a few hours.

Ann7227
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

My son is 14 and I let him watch the younger to with are 12 and 10 for a hour or so. But if I work I pay someone to come over and watch my 10 yr old.

mommy259
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

At night? or during the day?

Quoting Mommyto3As:

My DD is 13 and she watches her 3 yr old sister for a few hours.

jostock
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM

yes I let my 13 year old babysit my younger kids . He is responsible and knows not to answer the door to anyone or cook on the stove. he can use the microwave to do tv dinners or popcorn ect..

mommy259
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM

BUMP!

mommy259
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM

BUMP!

scperdomo
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM
I baby sat my little brother when I was 7. He is 7 years younger than me. I was also very mature for my age, I took care of him for a long time.

My SS is 15 and we only recently had him babysit DS (he's 2). But it was inly for about 3 hours and right before bedtime. Im not completely comfortable with long periods of time just yet, lol.

So I think it depends on the chills level of maturity and how well you think they can handle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smenjivar
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM

My 14 year old daughter babysits our younger two that are 11 and 6. they all know not to answer the phone or the door. My older two have cell phones so if we need to reach them to just check in we call her cell or my sons cell.

luvinmy3babes
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM

judging by my dd's maturity now i would say about 13-14

KMAsMommy9182
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I think in your situation, going out to dinner once in a while would be okay.  It's not like you are going to be gone for 5 hours or go so far away that you cannot get home if need be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)