Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you/will you have The Sex Talk?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM
  • 6 Replies
How did you discuss sex with your child? How much detail did you give? Did they have any funny/scary misconceptions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AHmom103
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I'm not going to have that talk until I have to. Either when they start asking questions, or around 10-11 years old...

pasteeater
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM

We started at 8 and we still talk about it five years later.  It's important to me to reinforce everything he needs to know.  I gave all the info throughout the years.  I don't think that "the talk" should be once.  You don't teach the ABC's and expect the child to read.  It's similar to that.  I would never just say it once and be done with it.  I take cues from my son and go from there.

veganistic
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I haven't had that talk with dd yet. She's almost 7 so I guess I need to. I just remember that my mom gave way too much detail & so I'm trying to decide how to give a proper talk.  

veganistic
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM
I agree. Dd, 6, has asked enough questions that we have covered "men fertilize women's eggs with their sperm to make a baby" but have not needed to get into the details of how that occurs yet. As teachable moments and questions come up o will handle it. I am nervous about it though. The only sex talk my mom gave me was "you know to use condoms, right?" When I was 13.

Quoting pasteeater:

We started at 8 and we still talk about it five years later.  It's important to me to reinforce everything he needs to know.  I gave all the info throughout the years.  I don't think that "the talk" should be once.  You don't teach the ABC's and expect the child to read.  It's similar to that.  I would never just say it once and be done with it.  I take cues from my son and go from there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetumskitty
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Quoting pasteeater:

My daughter was hilarious.  She thought babies came out the butt.  LOL.  When she found out they come from the vagina her eyes were as big as dinner plates! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)