Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did YOUR mom or dad discuss sex with you?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM
  • 119 Replies
In an earlier post I asked how and when you will discuss sex with your kids, and that got me wondering how other women's parents talked about it to them.

My mom told me one thing, one time. When I was 13 she told me/asked me if I knew I was supposed to use condoms. I was totally embarrassed and locked myself in the bathroom with a loud "OH my GOD MOM! I KNOOOOW!"

We never discussed it again, lol. I had already learned more than any kid should know about sex from adult books, magazines, and HBO. Yikes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM

my mom gave me a book to read about a girl who got her period and it had all the information. as for sex......i didnt really get a talk, i was only told to keep it safe

autumn_sunset
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM
My parents never had any of the "life" talks with me. I am determined to be more open with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM

My mom...

If you get pregnant, we won't kick you out (I wasn't even dating at the time).

I'm not ready for grandkids (I was in college, and dating DH, but saving myself for marriage.)

LOL 

momto3infl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM

They didnt-I learned at school and friends.  I am totally different with my kids because of it.

nikisazombie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Ugh. My stepdad... when I was freaking TWELVE... "Hey... you know what sex is about, right?" then STARTED to go into details.. I just told him um... nah. I get the jist. And that was that.

I am certainly more open with J than my parents were. I didn't even really know what my period was all about till it started!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Do you feel like that was a good way to handle it? How will you do it with your own kids?

Quoting poshkat:

my mom gave me a book to read about a girl who got her period and it had all the information. as for sex......i didnt really get a talk, i was only told to keep it safe

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyblue21
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM

They never did. I thought I was dying when I got my first period (I was at a monthly cardio appt too so there was fear already there). My mom just said your not a little girl any more and you can start shaving! Yep I'm planning on being more open with my munchkin's.

orcadarwin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Nothing, absolutely nothing.  

CocoBeen
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM
They didnt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlingsAndThings
by RissaBusch on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM

My parents have never discussed sex with me.  Everything I know about sexuality and human sexual development I learned in school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)