Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 out of every 4 of you... EDIT for those that think you're safe!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM
  • 101 Replies

Have herpes and don't know it.

Statistically speaking.

When is the last time you had a full STD test done?

ETA: Now I know many of you say you have had blood tests for it,but the tests to detect it in blood are very expensive and rarely ordered by doctors.This is not a routine blood testing at a physical.

This explains the most common means of testing for herpes.

Tests for HSV are most often done only for sores in the genital area. The test may also be done using other types of samples, such as spinal fluid, blood, urine, or tears. To see whether sores are caused by HSV, different types of tests may be done.

• Herpes viral culture. Cells or fluid from a fresh sore are collected with a cotton swab and placed in a culture cup. A viral culture is the best method of identifying a genital herpes infection. But the culture often fails to find the virus even when it is present (false-negative results).
  • Herpes virus antigen detection test. Cells from a fresh sore are scraped off and then smeared onto a microscope slide. This test finds markers (called antigens) on the surface of cells infected with the herpes virus. This test may be done with or in place of a viral culture.
  • Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. A PCR test can be done on cells or fluid from a sore or on blood or on other fluid, such as spinal fluid. PCR finds the genetic material (DNA) of the HSV virus. This test can tell the difference between HSV-1 and HSV-2. The PCR test is not often done on skin sores, but it is best for testing spinal fluid, for those rare cases in which herpes may cause an infection in or around the brain.
  • Antibody tests . Blood tests can find antibodies that are made by the immune system to fight a herpes infection. Antibody tests are sometimes done but are not as accurate as a viral culture at finding the cause of a specific sore or ulcer. Antibody tests cannot tell the difference between a current active herpes infection and a herpes infection that occurred in the past. Because antibodies take time to develop after the first infection, you may not have a positive antibody test if you have just recently been infected. Some blood tests can tell the difference between HSV-1 and HSV-2

So you all have had sores on yourselves tested?

Trying to shed a little light on the fact that many of you that claim to not have it,really in all honesty have no idea if you do or not.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM
1.2.3. not it.
southernjess3

not me! i get tested every year. had my test a month ago.

pigtail

Not I.

miss_lisa
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Last one was done about 8 months ago, I'm good.

Mandiii04
When I was pregnant with DD they checked, even though I know I'm good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BV88
Like 6.5 years ago when I was preggo (I think).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jodyann2
I have been checked .... so far nothing. But I have been super carefull.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PotterMom218
When I was preggo, and it was negative
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlebabybliss

Not me, was just tested. I do however have The cold sore herpes, only on my mouth though :)

Creek_Momma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM
Less than 6 months ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)