Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I messed up...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM
  • 24 Replies

DD is almost 2. She'll be 2 in November. In the November 09 babies group, a lot of the November babies can already count and stuff. Well, DD *can* count to 3 but only does it when we are playing(like when DH and I are holding her hands walking and you do the 123 swing).

I was just trying to sit down and do flash cards with her. She gets stuck on 2. She refuses to go past 2. I tried to keep going figuring after a week or two of doing this everyday, she'll know 1-10. Well, she just kept recognizing the pictures(cars, cats, etc). And every time I changed cards, she would start crying. So I just put them away because it's just causing fits.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong or I started too late. I don't know. I just feel like she should at the very least be able to count to 5. She could, if she would try. But like I said, she stops at 2 every single time. And it's not that she is pronouncing 3 as 2. The number 3 card has 3 airplanes. I pointed 1 2 and 3. She started pointing with me but stopped on the 2nd airplane every time. when I went to 4, she stopped on the 2nd picture. And the 5th, 6th and 7th. I stopped there because I realized it was futile.

I know all children learn at different paces and unless she's significantly falling behind, I shouldn't be concerned. I'm not really "concerned" per say. It's just that I *know* she can learn it, she is just being stubborn. She thinks it's funny to stop on 2. She can say 3. I got her to say it once. She is very headstrong, which makes sense because both me and DH are the same way.

So, any tips? Should I just wait a couple of months then try again?

I'm trying not to stress about it but I want to make sure I'm doing right by her. I have a lot of past issues that make me more "anal" and overprotective than most mothers would be. I just don't want to screw her up, I guess.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JordansMama2003
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I would keep working on it with her. You will be surprised when over night she starts doing all of those things. 

Ms.Mysterious
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM
I would use songs instead of the flash cards!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brysonsmommy_10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM
My son will be 2 next month, and while he is very headstrong as well. I have found that with him what works is to make it fun and not put pressure on him. If we're going up or down steps I'll count and wait for him to repeat it or if I'm walking down the hall I'll count steps. When he's eating his snack we'll count whatever he's eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Lose the flash cards.   She's not quite two.  She's fine.  Instead of trying to train her with flashcards, just make sure you talk about things in real life, while they're happening.  For instance, when at the grocery store, count how many cans of soup you're putting in the cart.  Talk about how the carrots on her plate are orange, or that the wheels on her toy car are circles.  That's the best way for kids to learn.  I know it's hard not to try to race to make sure our kids are doing everything the other kids are doing, but honestly, she WILL learn at her own pace, and she'll be just as smart if not smarter than the kids who already know their letters and numbers.

I freaked out a bit too when my oldest was around 2 and there was a 22 month old who seemed to know all his letters and mine didn't know any.  But now my DS is one of the most advanced kids in his class, and scored above the 99th percentile on his pre-K screening.  

babybump87
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM
At two? Lol, mama dont worry, they all progress differently. Besides, your dd might be more advanced in other areas that kids her age aren't! My ds is a bit behind in speech but is very mechanically inclined and is a year ahead in his problem solving skills. Everything will balance out, just work with her regularly and praise her often when she does good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM

DD is stubborn as well.   What we did was just talk about every day things and how many pretzels did she want for her snack.  How many steps does it take to go down to car  etc.   DD is 5 and right on track.  It is NEVER too late to teach a child something.  You could always have her evaluated through the dept of education as well just in case there may be something you dont see.   It just sounds like stubborness.   Life is about learning through fun for this age not structured learning.  PS  Baby einstein has a counting video which may make it more fun for her to count along with.

emmiesmommy1113
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM

OK. Thank you all. I mean, I know it's not that big of a deal but I just wanted to double check.

I'll start counting at the store, though we hardly buy multiples of anything other than milk and bread. Lol. I tried counting with her with her foam blocks but she kept stopping at two with those as well. I think 2 is her favorite number. I've tried with the pointing at things and saying the color but she seems more interested in what something is, like it's a car or it's a cat or it's a dog. She doesn't care too much about what color it is or how many there is of them.

Mamacruz13
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

This. My son knew his body parts, ABCs, and could count to 10 by 1 1/2 because he learned them with songs that me and my family would sing to him. Right now he is learning to spell 3 letter words with songs to the tune of frere jacques "C-a-t spells cat c-a-t- spells cat, cats say meow cats say meow"

Quoting Ms.Mysterious:

I would use songs instead of the flash cards!

chalisa0
by Kim on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM

My advice is to stop with the flash cards.  Buy (or go to the library) counting books, alphabet books etc.  Buy ones with her favorite characters.  It will become innate and she won't even be aware of the learning.  And, it becomes fun not a chore-like you're making it.  (BTW, my son didn't say one word before age 2.  Now, at age 14 he's very very bright-in fact, he's one of the smartest people-including adults-I know.) 

sweetumskitty
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM

We used the "1,2,3,4,5 once I caught a fish alive" song.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)