• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Sleepover?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

When did your child get invited to their first sleepover?  My daughter, 6, just got invited to her very first one that is not a family sleepover.  My older daughter, 7, has never been invited.  Emma, my daughter that was invited, is so excited but I am a nervous wreck.  I know the family.  They are very respected, but it still freaks me out to know my daughter will sleep under someone else's roof.  I know I would crush her if I would hold her back... They will spend the afternoon at their pool and then have the sleep over and it crossed my mind to pick her up after swimming and dinner, but she is begging us to let her stay.  Am I just a paranoid nut, or is there reasoning in my fears?  Please share your first sleepover experience...

I was not allowed to go to my first sleepover.  I was crushed.  I was in 3rd grade and it was just down the road.  The family who invited me (The Wilson's) were new to town and my dad was very uneasy about me sleeping anywhere.  I remember I declined on Thursday evening and the entire day at school Friday I was teased.  I was heartbroken.    My parents had offered to let me go for a couple of hours, but I declined since I had been teased all day.  I remember going to sleep so mad on Friday and waking up to my Mom sleeping in bed with me.  I was very confused, but she eventually told me that the Wilson's home caught on fire and that their youngest daughter who was about 3 or 4 at the time, and one of the guests had been killed.  I was horrified.  I was only in 3rd grade.  This does not make letting my kids go to sleepovers any easier. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sparkle_monkey
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Anyone have kids that have gone on sleepovers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM
I don't dwell on the what if. If I am comfortable with the family then sleepover they go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jella31
by Angela on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Bump i was never allowed. I don't think I'll be letting my girls either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM

DD has yet to be on any sleepovers family or otherwise.  She just hasnt been invited.  I am hoping when my mom comes out, she can spend one of the non school nights at hotel with her.  DD is 5 btw.

mandksmommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM

my daughter was seven the first time she slept at a non family members house. i know the mother through school and girl scouts and she is a big shot at dss so i felt comfortable letting her stay there.

sparkle_monkey
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Thanks ladies. I am very comfortable with the family, I just Keep reliving that terrible
Tragedy in my life :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.mysweetmelissa
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM
I had my first non-family sleepover in kindergarten right before we moved. It was just my best friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymom629
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I don't have girls.

Not sure about letting themg go.

But I know I would NEVER host one at my house. Without hiring a few teenage chaperones to help maybe.

Why?

Google Tonya Craft

Falsely accused of sex abuse at a sleepover, lost custody of her kids, had her life upside down, spent time in jail and was FINALLY acquitted b/c she was 100% innocent but lived a nightmare for several years

And you won't want to host sleepovers either

Trust me

T-Rentsmommy06
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM
My sons (five and three) spent the night with their friend and she was six. Her parents live in the apt complex with us. Their daughter had already spent the night at our house. I was still uneasy and a little unsure about them being different sexes, which is why his brother went (that and not leaving him behind because it would crush him). Anyway, they were fine and they had a lot of fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
th78
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:08 AM

both of my   girls have been doin sleepovers since they were in Kindergarten so they started at 5. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)