Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SDD with sleep issues. Please open...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  • 29 Replies
My step DD. Has trouble going to sleep. She shares a room with my DD. And my step DS(6)has his own room. He sleeps just fine alone. My DD(4) sleeps fine alone when they are at visitation with their mom.
She has freaked out several times. By that I mean crying, keeps getting up, making excuses that she feels sick.
We go to get them up & we catch her in one of the other kids beds.
I'll ask why is she in their beds & she says Idk.
She is turning 8 next month is the oldest of 5 kids in my home. I don't know what is wrong or what to do. Obviously she is scared. But as many times as I've asked of what, have gotten nowhere.
I finally asked her mom for help tonight. She said she would see about finding a Dr or counselor so we could take her. I would have done it myself but her dad didn't agree & I'd never do anything without either of their permission EVEN THOUGH they live with me & I take primary care of them.

ANY advice or suggestions....
In the meantime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymom629
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Could you sleep on the floor in the room.... sort of to comfort her? (At least until she gets to sleep) Get an air mattress or something

happymom629
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Or she could sleep on the floor in your room...

Only temporarily......

peacach.milis
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM

she lives with you and visits her mom? is that correct? 

i wonder what's upsetting her at that age. 

Momma3830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM
Well she is not alone in the room. Either I or her dad check up on her every 10-15 minutes or so till she goes to sleep.
The thing is we want her to sleep on her own not be dependent on having us around 24/7.

I kinda feel like her sleeping with one of us next to her is defeating the point. Idk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma3830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Idk if your trying to be sarcastic...
But she is very happy here.
She even asks if she can stay when her mom comes to pick her up.
She is very affectionate towards me & I to her. She is like my dd.

Her mo. Even says she is disconnected from her kids. That they would rather be home with us.

Quoting peacach.milis:

she lives with you and visits her mom? is that correct? 

i wonder what's upsetting her at that age. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma3830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Mom**
not mo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momwith2monkeys
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

i have the same issue with my son who is 8, he is always coming into our room. we finally told him he is getting to old to be crawling in bed with us so now he crawls in bed with his big sister. he says he had a bad dream and got scared. it is kinda cute though i have laid awake watching coming in our room, he  will slowly creep up to daddy to see if he is asleep and the creep up to me and see if i am asleep and the slowly and easily crawl in our bed, he will get settle and i will set up really quick and say what are you doing, it scares him when i do that. and then he laughs.

Momma3830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma3830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM
Well see I understand. Once in a while bad dreams.
But i really feel like there is no reason why she shouldn't be able to fall asleep on her own without any issues.

I mean her & my DD had a bunk bed. She asked if we could separate them. I asked why. She said Cus I dont like sleeping on top. But yet she would convince my DD to climb & sleep next to her.
Really I know it's Cus she is scared.

So we did. Now their beds take up 90% of the room & after all that she is still going into my DD's bed while she is asleep?

Quoting momwith2monkeys:

i have the same issue with my son who is 8, he is always coming into our room. we finally told him he is getting to old to be crawling in bed with us so now he crawls in bed with his big sister. he says he had a bad dream and got scared. it is kinda cute though i have laid awake watching coming in our room, he  will slowly creep up to daddy to see if he is asleep and the creep up to me and see if i am asleep and the slowly and easily crawl in our bed, he will get settle and i will set up really quick and say what are you doing, it scares him when i do that. and then he laughs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma3830
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)