Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should my child read "The Shack"?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM
  • 24 Replies

My 10 yr. old child recently was given a brief descriptive verbal summary of the book "The Shack" by her English teacher at school. The teacher was using this book as an example to the class of how the author of a book can use colorful and interesting writing to grab the readers' attention and draw you into a story.  I read this book when it was first published and dissected it, thoroughly, within a study group. I agree that it is a fantastic work by this author. And I understand the reason for using it as an example.But I feel that the violence surrounding the part of the story where the kidnapping and murder of the young child occurs, is not appropriate reading for a ten year old. And this is my belief, despite the fact that the book was originally written for the children of the author. AM I too prudish a mom?

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:43 AM
It really depends on your kid.
I have a very advanced ten year ok'd reader. I am not as concerned with violence, as I am with sexual cOntent in a book.
Mine has read Anne franks diary (four times), and just about anything else about the holocaust she can get her hands on. She's read to kill a mockingbird, which is about racial violence.
In my opinion, her reading those books have opened up some great doors for conversations.
I think it's totally what you think would be best for your child at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I don't remember if i've read it before or not. I remember how much violence there was in Lord of the Flies, but I think we read that as juniors or sophomores in HS.

Bump for you.

mommyto3bees
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM

im not sure a 10 year old.... maybe teenager sure

sherry132
by Sherry on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I used to fight the teachers. I have to agree that I really thought this book was a little strong. However, after the years and some of the stuff the schools have sent home, I've basically given up.

Saying your child can't read a book really makes life very difficult on the child.

Read the book with her again and discuss it.

megarooniduh
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM
I agree. Read it with her so you can help her to undrstand parts.

Quoting sherry132:

I used to fight the teachers. I have to agree that I really thought this book was a little strong. However, after the years and some of the stuff the schools have sent home, I've basically given up.

Saying your child can't read a book really makes life very difficult on the child.

Read the book with her again and discuss it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unbroken297
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM

It depends on how mature your child is some 10 yr olds could handel that some can't

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Depends on your daughter. I would discuss the content with her first, see how she reacts, then go from there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
judybant
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM

not really. That part of the book was really brutal to read. I had a hard time getting through it. But once that was over with, the beauty of the descriptions, and the overall awesome-ness of the book overcame. I guess it would depend on the child, really. My oldest son, no way could he have handled that at 10. I believe that my youngest child COULD handle it at 10, and if he asks to read it, I'd let him. (He's 8, and reads and comprehends at an 8th grade level) 

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Sep. 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM

This. I also think it could be something you could discuss together.

Quoting berlgirl1224:

Depends on your daughter. I would discuss the content with her first, see how she reacts, then go from there

flymom89
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion, yesterday. I am still weighing all of the advice received and will just have to go with my hearts instinct in the end. But thanks very much from this mom!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)