Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HOw to fatten up a pit bull

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM
  • 12 Replies

I took my Sampson to a vet clinqe yesturday and the vet said he is underweight. She only said feed him puppy food let him eat when he wants. Well is there anything else I can do? Poor boy is SOOOO skinny!

by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_cullum
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

High protein dog food

.mysweetmelissa
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

what food are you using?

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Add moist dog food to his puppy food, he'll eat more. Occasional fat drippings in his bowl too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

He is on benaful puppy. We only got him two days ago. He was neglected before the person who gave him to us took him from the previous owner.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I kept him on benaful because that is what the previous person was giving him and I did not want to change it up quick. I plan soon on slowly switching him to blue buffalo.

Bknotnobody
by Sadie on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I would suggest looking into Nutro dog food, eukanuba, or blue buffalo, as they are all much more nurtritious brands of dog food, than beneful. beneful contains corn, corn goes through humans as well as dogs. It's a filler. Also I believe the foods I just mentioned have a high protien content. Also beware of wet dog food, it's like giving cotton candy to a kid, will rot their teeth, or rather it can. Also corn is the main reason for dog dander, if it's one of the first five ingredients, I try to not buy it.

Also make sure one of the first ingreidients is meat, like chicken, buffalo, venison, whatever.

Hope this helps.

ETA- natural balance, solid gold, are also good dog foods. I know that is can be common for those who use blue buffalo to have dogs to have loose stool. It's why I ended up switching brands.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Yah poor puppy is only 9 months and before the woman got him all he was fed when he WAS fed was wet food. His teeth are yellowed. I brush them every day.

Quoting Bknotnobody:

I would suggest looking into Nutro dog food, eukanuba, or blue buffalo, as they are all much more nurtritious brands of dog food, than beneful. beneful contains corn, corn goes through humans as well as dogs. It's a filler. Also I believe the foods I just mentioned have a high protien content. Also beware of wet dog food, it's like giving cotton candy to a kid, will rot their teeth, or rather it can. Also corn is the main reason for dog dander, if it's one of the first five ingredients, I try to not buy it.

Also make sure one of the first ingreidients is meat, like chicken, buffalo, venison, whatever.

Hope this helps.

ETA- natural balance, solid gold, are also good dog foods. I know that is can be common for those who use blue buffalo to have dogs to have loose stool. It's why I ended up switching brands.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM
I didn't know that about wet food. We used it now and then for our dog to fatten him up ( also very skinny). I found that an occasional can of sardines and fat drippings did a better job. He is a Siberian husky.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Yah poor puppy is only 9 months and before the woman got him all he was fed when he WAS fed was wet food. His teeth are yellowed. I brush them every day.

Quoting Bknotnobody:

Hope this helps.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaylyn318
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Just keep feeding him. He should gain weight unless there is a health problem. I am 100% sure but I really don't think it would be healthy to make him gain a lot of weight quickly.

crysjuls
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM
I have the same problem with my pit. She'll go days without eating, and we have no clue why. But when she eats, she eats!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)