Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my brother in law

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM
  • 15 Replies
My brother in law and his fieance are being real how do I put it jurks because I have the problem and have to be on anti-depressants. They basically think that I am a bad mother and that my child needs to be taken away. I know it's a bunch of bull because I have the help I need and the family support but they have other people thinking that I need my kids taken away of me. I don't appricate it very much. what is your advise?
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymom4
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM

First you should probably very politly tell them to bud out and go to hell!!! Their are alot of us moms here on anti depressiants. so it is not an uncommon thing teel them they should do some research before they judge.I am one of those moms and am perfectly fine taking care of my kids.

tammymartin2002
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:47 PM
The previous post is correct you need to contact a lawyer if for nothing else than to set the record straight that your not taking the mental abuse they are inflicting on you as to protect yourself and your child.  All it takes is a rumor unfortunately to get cps involved.  Even a lie can escalate into extremes.  The best thing to do is have a letter sent to them from an attorney stating the fact that defamation of character is against the law.
Lexi_TeenMommy
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM
Well isn't really family in the first place. They are your children, and you are the best person for them to be with. They should be supporting you for actually taking your medication, instead of acting like that. My mom NEEDED medication while we were growing up, and she never took it - so I had a really messed up childhood. I think you will do just fine!
mbpmom
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM
if you being on antidepressants makes you an "unfit" then more than half the mothers in America are. You being on antidepressants does not make you an unfit mother. I say cut them out of your life. I cut several family members out of my life for bring drama to it. My life is so peaceful now. I am happier for it.
Schmiley81
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM
I have also been on anti-depressants. It is very hard. The only thing I suggest is that when you start a new med try and make sure people are around as much as possible. I tried a couple and I can't remember now exactly what they were I think Boosbar and something else (at different times of course) and they made me wig out on my daughter because she wouldn't eat her brussell sprouts! She was only 3 for crying out loud! He had to pull meoff her and once I stopped I realized what I had done but at the time I completely blacked out! I have never forgiven myself for that but it was not my fault it was the meds regardless of what the drs say because I have never had that happen before or since! Just be careful but you certainly can handle both!!! Good luck don't take any crap from them!
motherofthree81
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM
Surround yourself with the ones who support you and the kind of positive assistance you need and stay away from those who don't. Hold your head up,mom.
Robsmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Quoting crazymom4:

First you should probably very politly tell them to bud out and go to hell!!! Their are alot of us moms here on anti depressiants. so it is not an uncommon thing teel them they should do some research before they judge.I am one of those moms and am perfectly fine taking care of my kids.

As long as the meds are helping, don't worry about what others say.  You can't please everyone all the time. And sometimes it's just not worth the effort.  You  keep doing what you're doing.  Much love and prayers. 
Nicivixen
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:39 PM
When I was young my mom needed her anti depressants to be a good mom, I understood that in my teenage years b/c I ended up needing some anxiety meds to be a good daughter!
Maybe you can explain that to them. With out them youre not the best mom you could be. Many medical professionals will back you on that. If they dont understand they dont need to ba a part of your life with your kids.
KHeatherK
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:41 PM
That's all we need, more Tom Cruise wanna bees, bashing mothers like Brooke Shields. I'd tell him that your kids are lucky to have a mother who takes care of herself for the sake of her child. People don't realize what a struggle it is to raise children especially if you are depressed. Taking anti depressants is a sure sign of maturity. What he saying makes him sound like a immature prick>
daisylicious
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM
I would tell them to stay out of your business. You are taking the medication to help you with your daily life of raising a child. Which is not easy.Would they rather you didn't. What would the consequences be if you didn't take it. You are smart enough to know you need help. That says alot.  It says you are doing what you need to do to be a good Mother.I have taken anti depressants too. They helped me when I needed them then I learned to deal without them If they are helping  then you should do what is right for yourself and your child There will always be some one out there judging you on your parenting skills. You do what you need to do to be a good Mother and try not to pay attention to what other people think. Easier said than done I know but keep trying..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)